Cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravens_angel64

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I'm finally going to test my tank and pumps for water tightness today.

Please spam me with your cycling knowledge, sources and links!

Should I get pure ammonia?

I also have a source for some nice used filter media and I have the API test kit :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Possible useful tips here
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

and then the classic...
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Think I might have already sent that previously. If so then disregard.

If you get some good filter media, and don't have any fish yet, then do not forget to feed the BB in the media while you are getting ready to stock!

What are you wanting for your tank inhabitants?

When you start to stock, watch for odd fish behavior, keep doing pwc, and test when in doubt! Very exciting!

If you decide on fishless cycle, then just remember there isn't hurrying or skipping things unless you transition to fish-in.

Quarantining is still really a big help in the delicate time of early tank set up/running.

Fish buying side notes - If you do not QT then just know...do not buy a fish which needs help/looks sick/has fin damage already/ hides away from his friends/ doesn't look active or bright eyed.

Do not buy fish from a tank with dead fish in it, do not get the ones that just came into the store today, and sometimes, even yesterday. Shipping is traumatic and stressful on fish and the most of them which are so stressed will die off in a few days.

Then look at them carefully to make sure they are not got any Ich spots, greyish to white patches on dorsal fins, other signs of disease, or the other tank mates either.

Do not be afraid to ask for the fish store person to get a different fish if they get you one you do not like the looks of. Also if the fish store person is inexperienced and chases the fish around to capture them within an inch of their life, just tell them they look too stressed, and you want to come back another time [When they aren't the one to catch fish for you.]

And that without doing a QT you risk all the healthy fish in the tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom