Cycling Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tetra safestart won't do anything often times those products are to scam you out of your money. Maybe seeding the bacteria with filter media or substrate from an established aquarium will help speed things along.

Yeah, i've asked all the pet shops in San Diego if they would provide seeding material, but they won't :( Sould I do a water change or should I just wait a little longer.

Water changes are a routine part of tank maintenance. Keep up the fight and eventually things will level out. If you have a place where you can get seacums prime, I highly suggest you make that a standard part of your water changes. Believe me, I was where you are now just a week or 2 ago. By the way do you have fish in your tank, or are you doing a fishless cycle?
Dwayne

Bettafanatic said:
Tetra safestart won't do anything often times those products are to scam you out of your money. Maybe seeding the bacteria with filter media or substrate from an established aquarium will help speed things along.

I had extremely good results from Safestart. My fish in cycle went from dragging along with fluctuating levels of ammo & nitrite to zero's and 10ppm nitrate in a matter of 2 or 3 days after dosing with safestart.
I've also seen plenty of positive feedback from people who've used Dr Tims One and Only.
It is only a booster though and there is still no substitute for testing and PWC's as needed.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I checked my ammonia today and it is still at 2 ppm after 3 days since the last testing. I'm going to do a water change and maybe find a bottle of tetra safestart and add that. Any advice?

What's your PH? Can you test and post the result?
What size tank?
Do you have surface agitation from the filter or an air stone?

You can try Safe Start; it won't hurt but it might or might not help. If you can, you can try ordering a seeded filter from AngelsPlus: Aquarium Sponge Filters; they take them from their fish tanks and are seeded with bacteria. They've helped many on here with their cycles, myself included. Just make sure if you get one that it says "active" next to it or else you're just buying a plain filter.

Also you are treating the water with conditioner/dechlorinator prior to putting it into the tank, right?

Sorry for the long wait guys. School has been killing me.
Ammonia: *i havent dosed anything yet 1ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
ph: a little more than 7
30 gallons
i have an air stone and the heater is at 80-82
i finally got around to doing a 60% water change. waiting about 20minutes then i will dose to 4ppm.

Alright, so I accidentally let ammonia drop down to zero. I dosed back up to around 3-4 ppm.
Ammonia: 3-4ppm
So after 5 days it dropped. Waiting until it drops after 24 hours to test for nitrites.

So my ammonia has been remaining constant up until now where it has dropped to 2ppm. Why is there a stall? Should I do a water change?

Back
Top Bottom