Cycling new tank with plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kattiq

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys!

So I have cycled a tank using ammonia before and doing water testing kits, but I have heard of another method that just uses plants. And once you see new growth/algae you know its converting and making the appropriate bacteria to then support a few fish at a time.

My question is, has anyone here done it successfully?

I currently have a 16g waterbox- low tech
Plants: 6 swords, 3 anubias and some java moss
Substrate: Fluval stratum
Filtration: Sponge filter and a marina slim s20 HOB filter
Lighting: 11W NiCrew lightAmazon.com

I just planted and got the tank ready last night so I just wanted some feedback and tips to get it started.

Cycling source:

Thanks in advance!

QM5PFk9

Yes that is how it's done, that is how I do it.

Okay thanks, I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out on anything because it seems so simple.
How long did it take you to plant cycle?

Okay thanks, I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out on anything because it seems so simple.
How long did it take you to plant cycle?

Never really timed it, 1-2 months I’d say, once the plants are established and growing well along with algae being controlled, you can add a few fish, and then a few more after a week and so on. Watch parameters after adding fish to look out for any ammonia

Never really timed it, 1-2 months I’d say, once the plants are established and growing well along with algae being controlled, you can add a few fish, and then a few more after a week and so on. Watch parameters after adding fish to look out for any ammonia

Okay thank you!

Back
Top Bottom