Cycling New tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastrategist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I'm relatively new to aquariums and have only had a 25 gallon and 5 gallon aquarium. I will have a 55 by December and running by January. My stock plan is
·10 neons
· 8 cories
· 1 Angelfish
· 8-10 Platies
·6-10 Rainbowfish (yellow, salmon, turquoise)
*if you have comments on my stock, go to my other post please, this is just cycling

I decided to do fish in cycling. I need a detailed explanation on how to do it with my stock plan above. Please help and step by step as I am new to this, thank you.

Fish In Cycling

Hi, I'm relatively new to aquariums and have only had a 25 gallon and 5 gallon aquarium. I will have a 55 by December and running by January. My stock plan is
·10 neons
· 8 cories
· 1 Angelfish
· 8-10 Platies
·6-10 Rainbowfish (yellow, salmon, turquoise)
*if you have comments on my stock, go to my other post please, this is just cycling

I decided to do fish in cycling. I need a detailed explanation on how to do it with my stock plan above. Please help and step by step as I am new to this, thank you.

Hello Aqua...

Cycling your tank with fish is a very efficient means. I used this method and my fish easily survived my "learning curve".

I would cycle the tank with Platys. The larger the tank, the better, because there will be plenty of water to dilute a mistake in managing the aquarium.

Add a few Platys. They're very hardy and the waste they make starts the cycling process. You must test the tank water daily and remove at least 25 percent of it when your test shows even a trace of ammonia or nitrite. This partial water change will remove these toxic chemicals. If you fail to change the water, you risk losing your fish.

You just test the water and change it when needed. Once you have several tests that read "0" for the above toxins, you can add a few more Platys. Then you must test and remove the water when needed. You just follow these steps until the tank is fully stocked. Pretty simple, but the water must be checked every day. The process takes several weeks, if not a couple of months, so be patient.

One other thing, Angels are larger and aggressive toward smaller fish. I would research that particular fish before putting it in the tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom