Cycling - ntirItes question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaris

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's my testing history for reference: (Amm = ammonia, Ites = nitrites)

Aug 30: Amm = 4.0+ Ites = 0+
-- added gravel from established tank --
Aug 31: Amm = 4.0+ Ites = .25+
Sep 1: Amm = 4.0+ (lighter color tho) Ites = 1.0
Sep 2: Amm = 4.0 Ites = 1.0
Today: Amm = 2.0-4.0 (lighter color again, but still closer to 4.0) Ites = 5.0

Can NitrItes jump that fast?
Yesterday I was looking at the test card (API Master FW Kit) and thinking that the 1.0 and 5.0 were close in color, but that my tests have definitely been looking closer to 1.0. I figured I'd know it was 5.0 after I saw 2.0. But today I'm pretty sure my NitrItes are 5.0. It's not purpley enough to be 1.0.

My ammonia is slowly going down in comparison. However I did overdose (I think close to 20ppm) initially and had to several water changes to get it down to between 8.0 and 4.0.

FYI I'm going by the values on the card. I'm not trying to guestimate a number in between. + = more than/darker than color value, but not close enough to the next color value.

Considering you added gravel from an established tank, it is entirely possible that nitrites appeared and spiked that quickly.

Agreed, it sounds like you got some good stuff for seed material. Keep monitoring it, but I don't think it's going to take long.

Yep, I recently started up two tanks and thanks to some really nice seed material, I had nitrites go from nothing to very high in less than 48 hours, and then from very high back to zero (with an appearance of nitrates) in less than 48 more more.

Today my ammonia is 1.0+ and my nitrItes are 5.0 or higher. Do I wait to dose again with ammonia after it has dropped to 0?

Thanks guys. ^_^ I'll dose it first thing in the morning.......or maybe later tonight depending on how much longer I stay up.

Back
Top Bottom