Cycling problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
He nitrites and nitrates have disappeared. Ammonia is 2ppm now. It's a 2.5 gal tank. Please help!

So through the cycling process you have recorded Nitrites and Nitrates being above 0ppm? How many days have you been cycling?

+1 for the other posts, we need a little more information... Fish in or fishless cycle? How long have you been cycling? Since you said disappeared I'm assuming you recorded numbers previously, what were they? Are you testing with the liquid test or strips? Any additional info you can provide will help us try to get you an accurate answer or plan otherwise were just guessing.

Good luck.

Hi sorry I didn't give enough info I was in a rush. I've been cycling for four weeks now. I'm adding ammonia in the tank. For the past couple of weeks, nitrites has been .50 ppm and nitrates have been 5 ppm. Ammonia was 4 ppm the entire time. It dropped to 1 ppm sometimes but I added more and brought it back up. Yesterday, both nitrites and nitrates were suddenly 0. Any suggestions?

This isn't entirely related but why the 4ppm of ammonia? If you are only going to stock the one fish I would assume that even 1ppm of ammonia would build a bacteria colony large enough to support a Betta.

Mumma.of.two said:
This isn't entirely related but why the 4ppm of ammonia? If you are only going to stock the one fish I would assume that even 1ppm of ammonia would build a bacteria colony large enough to support a Betta.

Their probably going by what all those articles on fishless cycling say to do. Most specify 4ppm.

I wouldnt worry too much about the nitrates right now. What are your readings for amm, nitrite, ph today? Have you done any pwcs yet? If not, it may be time for one!

I agree with jlk. Do a 100% water change (with dechlorinator) and then dose ammonia to 2 (not 4) and test again in 24 hours (including PH) and let's see what happens. :)

Ok, I just did a test. Ammonia is 4 ppm and nitrites is zero. As for pH, I couldn't really determine the ammount. The water changed to this color that wasn't on the chart. I tested pH and High-range pH, but still couldn't get it. Normal pH turned to a navy blue. Anyone know what that means?

I will wait for your advice and then decide whether to do a water change or not.

Ok so normal PH was the bottom bluish color or darker (7.6)? And what was high range, was it lighter than the 7.4 on the chart? If so then your PH is probably between 7.4-7.6 which is fine.

Have you added anything to the tank such as bacteria starters? Are you using dechlorinator? Have you changed out any filter media or washed it at all? It's odd that after a month your ammonia isn't dropping but you're seeing some nitrite. Sorry, I forgot if you mentioned this: have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If not you should, just to see if that's what's contributing to the readings.

Have you done any water changes during that month? Here's what I'd do: do a full water change with dechlorinator; this will replenish minerals in the water which can help things if they are stuck. Then dose ammonia to 2 and let's see what happens in 24 hours. Also check your tap water for those levels if you haven't already.

Well, your ph is atleast 7.6, possibily higher. It hasnt crashed which is good. I agree with Librarygirl- its time for 100% water change & only dose your amm to 2ppm & lets see how things look in 24hrs.

Ok I'll do a water change. But I said before the ammonia dropped to 1 ppm once but I re-dosed it to 4 again. I did one 100% water change once because ammonia was so high the tank was getting cloudy and nothing was happening. That was a month ago. But if I do a full water change, will that mean I havento start over again?

Ok I'll do a water change. But I said before the ammonia dropped to 1 ppm once but I re-dosed it to 4 again. I did one 100% water change once because ammonia was so high the tank was getting cloudy and nothing was happening. That was a month ago. But if I do a full water change, will that mean I havento start over again?

Nope. Changing water doesn't affect the cycle at all. Just be sure to dechlorinate the water and try to match the temperature as closely as you can (feeling both with your hand is usually close enough) before you put it into the tank.

Reactions: jlk
Ok I'll do a water change first thing tomorrow. As for the dechlorination, will Betta water conditioner do the trick?

Back
Top Bottom