Cycling Problems - False Readings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just when we thought that we had everything under control in our betta tank...

Last weekend, we were showing almost undetectable ammonia, almost undetectable nitrites and 5-10 of nitrates...so we decided the fish (a betta and two panda cories) were ready to go in. We've since had a bit of an increase in nitrites (just in between .1-.3) that we've been controlling with almost nightly water changes.

Now for the problem...

We've been using Prime water condition by Seachem in our tanks for almost six months without a problem. The bottle says that it removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, and detoxifies nitrites and nitrates. Although after last night, I think it's giving us false readings.

Before the water change:
ammonia - .25
nitrite - .1
nitrate - 5

Immediately after the water change:
ammonia - 1.2
nitrite - .3
nitrate - 5

I tested again after half an hour or so, and got the same readings. So then I tested just water with the Prime (that was setting out for future pwc's) and it tested with ammonia @ 1.2. The water out of the tap read no ammonia.

Before anyone tells me to switch water condition, don't worry...that's going to happen. My problem now is figuring out what the heck the parameters are in the betta tank, whether it's really done cycling, how often I need to change the water...

Help!

Yikes! Aside from the water conditioner going haywire, your tests may be off. Do you have another tank you can test, or test tap water and see what the readings are--test both the other tank (I read your sig :roll:) and tap water. Another idea--bring a water sample to the LFS and have them double check it for you before you scrap something that may be fine.

I thought that my test kit might be toast, but it's less than a year old and has always provided accurate readings up until now.

I already tested the tap water and it showed readings of 0 for all of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I'll test the other tank, and try to get down to the lfs, tonight. In the meantime, I have no idea whether gills are being burned by excess ammonia or whether excess nitrite is making it harder to breathe for my poor fishies :(

The best you can do is a water change and monitor the fish. Do they look stressed--heavy/rapid breathing, red gills, hanging out at the surface belly up, laying flat on the substrate?

I've used Prime for over 2 years & never have a problem with NH3 readings...

What kind of ammonia test are you using - salicilate or Nessier? The Nessier test will give a false positive with ammonia binders - like Amquel or Prime. This is however, just a false reading, the fishes should be fine!

That's what I was thinking too, that you were getting a false reading from the ammonia tests. I use Amquel while conditioning my tap water (5 drops per gallon, since I also mix tap with RO water). The ammonia test I use is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals salicylate test.

Aquarium Pharm has two ammonia tests --salicylate and Nessler. I don't know if this will help you with the Hagan kit or not, but the Aquarium Pharm salicylate test has 2 test bottles. The test shades are yellow (no ammonia) to darkening shades of green as the ammonia gets higher. Their nessler test just has one bottle. The test shades are white (no ammonia) to shades of yellow.

PS. Hi jsoong!

Good... :) now you know the type of test you have!

Maybe you should consider getting a new ammonia test, like the Aquarium Pharm one, instead of changing conditioners. It's up to you, of course, but you'll have to either get a new salicylate test to go with the Prime conditioner, or get a new conditioner that's compatible with the nessler test. JMO, but I think it would be easier to get a new test kit. You would not drive yourself crazy over false positive readings anymore!

The Aquarium Pharm tests can be kind of hard to tell apart at the store. They are both in yellow boxes! The salicylate one says 130 tests, and the nessler one says 75 tests.

I edited my previous message ( not the double post one, lol). The nessler Aquarium Pharm ammonia test has 75 tests in it, not 80. I just went to the hatchery today, and I double-checked. While both boxes are yellow, the salicylate test box is more of a gold, and the nessler test is more of a bright yellow. Not a real big difference! So check the number of tests, and I'm sure no one will mind if you open the box and look for the two bottles in the salicylate test to make sure, since it isn't stated on the outside of the box anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom