Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been cycling my 55gal with 10 cherry barbs going into week 6...ammonia 0.0ppm, nitrate under 5.0ppm but the nitrites have been lingering between 0.25-1.0ppm depending on water change schedule for over 4 weeks. I have not lost any fish due to daily water changes but is this normal to have to nitrites sticking around this long?

It can take a long time when cycling with fish because you have to keep the ammonia down so low... there is a pretty good article on cycling with fish in my signature

It could possibly speed up the cycle, at the expense of fishy death, since it doesn't seem that you're completely on top of the parameters. It would probably do nothing besides create more water changes if they were done as needed.

Nitrites are TOXIC-- you need to keep them at .25ppm or below. You chose to do a fish-in cycle, you have to do the water changes. Just because your fish haven't died yet doesn't mean they're healthy.

I am performing daily water changes and I am aware of what effects nitrite have on fish hence the daily water change I was really looking for advice to speed up the process.

The best way (and only, really) to speed up a cycle is to get seed material-- handful of gravel, piece of a filter sponge, etc from a healthy established tank.

I came home tonight to find 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and 5ppm nitrate so it finally happened...out of my three tanks this one took the longest.

I have cycled with fish for the last 15 years and have never had a problem. This last cycle just dragged a little longer than than they have in the past. So I guess according to you I just haven't learned my lesson.

Back
Top Bottom