Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been recycling my 4gallon tank, for just over a week. I just tested the water and the readings are;

Ammonia - 8.0ppm
Nitrite - 5.0ppm
Nitrates - 160ppm

I used the same method as last time, a few prawns in a stocking and I have never had readings like this before! Plus the tank has all sorts of creepy bugs on the glass, including a lot of wriggly worms - which I assume are planaria? I would like to keep these under control and also bring the levels down so maybe a 50% water change but will this kill the cycle??

Water changers don't kill the cycle if you treat the water with Prime or a similar product (de-chlorinator) before you re fill the tank.

Yes I think that it is a good idea to do a PWC, minimum 50%, you can do another 50% the day after also, depending on the new readings, but try to get to 2 to 3 ppm of ammonia....

Ok thanks :) should I clean the filter media in some tank water, or leave that until the cycle is complete?

Yeah, with ammonia and nitrite being that high, It could possibly stall the cycle. I would recommend doing a water change on it to get your levels a little lower.

Leave the filter media alone and do a couple huge water changes.

The worms may be planaria, tubifex worms, nematodes, or something else. Chances are they're pretty harmless. I had all kinds of life in my 20L while fishless cycling it.

You said you're using many shrimp? On a tank that small you should only need 1. That could explain the extremely high readings.

Back
Top Bottom