Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestacott

Aquarium Advice Activist
My son and I are setting up our first aquarium probably 36 gallon. I was able to find a bottle of Old Country ammonia. I did the shake test and only get a little bubbling which went away in seconds. How much of this stuff do I add to get the ammonia levels up. Is it like 1 or 2 drops or like a cap full for 36 gallon tank? (I will be getting a test kit when we buy the tank later today).

twestacott said:
My son and I are setting up our first aquarium probably 36 gallon. I was able to find a bottle of Old Country ammonia. I did the shake test and only get a little bubbling which went away in seconds. How much of this stuff do I add to get the ammonia levels up. Is it like 1 or 2 drops or like a cap full for 36 gallon tank? (I will be getting a test kit when we buy the tank later today).

First off you don't want to get the ammonia levels up you want to get then down to 0! I don't know maybe it says on the back?

I thought thay to start cycling a new tank you wanted to add ammonia to the tank to get the ammonia levels up and let the tank and the filter natrually bring them back down?

Hi! Is there a percentage listed for ammonium hydroxide on the bottle? If there isnt, no big deal. You will need to do a bit of experimenting to figure the exact amount to bring your tank to 4ppm. Do you have a baby medicine syringe (doses to 1.875ml)? Most pharmacies will give you one for free if you dont have one. Start by adding 2ml amm, wait 10-15mins for your water to circulate, test for amm. Then, add by .5ml at a time, wait, retest. It will all be dependant on the strength of your amm for the right dose- a ballpark figure for the right dose is 3-5mls (5ml=1 teaspoon), though weaker stuff may be 2 or 3x this amount. Hope this helps! :)

Yes, for a fishLESS cycle you want to add ammonia and get them up so that the bacteria can grow and consume them. It's possible Fishie thought you had fish. :)

Heres' a calculator that will help tell you how much to add: Calculator

You can always just add a few drops, wait 30 minutes, test, then add more, etc. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom