Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jk623

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am doing a fish less cycle on my 36 gallon tank that began on aug 19. I tested today and had 0 nitrites and 1.0 ppm ammonia. I had a spike in nitrite over a week ago and it's at 0 now, but I am just wondering why ammonia isn't at 0 yet. I dosed almost 3 days ago to 4.0 ppm. Do I just need to wait a little longer? What steps should I take? Thank you!

I am doing a fish less cycle on my 36 gallon tank that began on aug 19. I tested today and had 0 nitrites and 1.0 ppm ammonia. I had a spike in nitrite over a week ago and it's at 0 now, but I am just wondering why ammonia isn't at 0 yet. I dosed almost 3 days ago to 4.0 ppm. Do I just need to wait a little longer? What steps should I take? Thank you!

Sounds to me like you just need to wait a little longer.

That you dosed to 4 ppm and are now at 1 suggests you are getting ammonia to nitrite conversion.

Did you get a rise in nitrates after your nitrite spike dropped? If so, that's further evidence that your cycling is progressing.

Based on what you've written, I think you're on your way.

Best!

Yes I did get a rise in nitrates after the nitrites showed. The nitrates are at 40 ppm right now. Should I continue dosing up to 4.0 ppm? Do I let ammonia drop almost to 0 before adding more? Thanks! I'll try and be patient a little longer.

For a number of reasons, I've always personally cycled fish-in, but again, I think you're on the right track. Test daily, when ammonia drops to zero, re-dose up to 4 ppm. When your tank can clear 4 ppm of ammonia in a day, with no nitrites, and producing only nitrates, you'll know you have a strongly established biofilter.

Then do however many water changes are necessary to get nitrates down (less than 20 ppm in my opinion) and you're ready to stock!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom