Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6yamaha

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a already cycle 46 g euro tank with
5 frontosa
3 bumblebee
2 jeweled
My question is I just got 2 20 gallon show tanks from a buddy that works at Petco for $10 each can I cycle them from water changes from my cichlid tank

Attachments

• image-3631927309.jpg
    image-3631927309.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 42
Seeding

You can't instantly cycle them but you can seed them.
The water itself is unlikely to contain much bacteria to seed the new tanks but you do have three options.
1: The best option would be to take some (but not too much) mature filter media from your existing filter and place it in your new filter(s). Take too much though and you risk sending your current tank into a mini cycle.
If that's not an option (depends on your filter type and current media) you could:
2: Squeeze water (and the gunk) from your existing filter sponges/foams into your new tanks/filters. Its not as effective as actually taking media across but should transfer some bacteria to kick start the process.
3: Transfer some of the gravel from your mature tank and either place it inside your new filter or in a filter bag infront of the intake of your filter. The bacteria your filter relies on clings to surfaces and whilst the majority of it will be in your filter, there will be some on your gravel, plants etc but this is undoubtedly going to be less effective than options 1 or 2.
Obviously whichever option you go with you'll still have to keep a close eye on your water parameters as none of these options will instantly cycle your tank, they'll just kick start the process and hopefully reduce the length of your cycles.

as mentioned above the water won't really do much. Very little BB is in the water column it self, it more so sticks to surfaces like filter media decor/substrate.

To add to the above you could also run your new filters on your current tank for a few weeks and allow them to seed this way.

I run dual filters on my current tank and can afford to remove one its 46 g and have 2 aquaclear 50 on there so ill just run one till I get the new tank filtered thanks for the help guys

Back
Top Bottom