Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I've had a 72 cycling w tetras for now about a week. Levels are good so far. Put some bottle "good bacteria" in today and want to put gravel from friends established tank in my bio wheel filter. Have extra media cartridge slot in there but question is can I just put the loose gravel in there to help the process or so I need to put it into a mesh bag? If so what do I use?

Hi I've had a 72 cycling w tetras for now about a week. Levels are good so far. Put some bottle "good bacteria" in today and want to put gravel from friends established tank in my bio wheel filter. Have extra media cartridge slot in there but question is can I just put the loose gravel in there to help the process or so I need to put it into a mesh bag? If so what do I use?

Do you mean put loose gravel in your bio wheel filter? No. I wouldn't recommend that ever, but if you're set on gravel in the filter in general (again not my first choice) I'd use mesh, nylon stocking or cheese cloth to prevent it from destroying your filter.
If you could get your friend to give you a piece of their existing filter media, that might work well with less chance of damage to your filter.

Thanks becca. I've heard that can be a good thing so by nylons you mean panty hose type?

Back
Top Bottom