Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petitemonk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am on my first day of cycling, the lady at the fish store gave me 4 rosy barbs... I have a 30 gallon tank... I was wondering what I should expect number wise from the water tests... ATM its at:

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0-0.25
Nitite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20

I was wondering if these numbers were around normal for a first day of cycle.

Nitrate is higher than normal for a new tank but nothing to really worry about.
Cycling time is different for everybody.
First Ammonia will creep up over the next few weeks. If it goes over 4.0ppm do a partial water change.
When Ammonia starts going down you will see nitrites go up. This will peak and go back down slower. If nitrites goes over 5.0ppm do a partial water change.
Once the nitrite eating bacteria are established nitrates start building up. When nitrates go over 40.0ppm do a partial water change.
Water changes above are in addition to the normal weekly 10 to 15 percent changes.
All in all it will take 4 to 7 weeks. No adding fish till this is complete.

Here is a web page about cycling. Has a nice chart. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/1053/html/cycling.htm

PH isnt really that big of a deal as long as its fairly stable. After you are done with your cycle and still fell the necesity there are natural ways to lower your PH.

My pH is 7.6 also, and none of my fish have ever had a problem with it. I think driftwood lowers pH if you really think it's necessary. Probably depends on the fish you plan on getting. Just don't use chemicals to lower pH. That's a temporary measure, you have to keep doing it, and just makes things more difficult and unstable.

yes i agree, whatever you do, don't use any chemicals to alter anything in your tank. You;ll make it worse!! My tank took 12 weeks to start cycling. Don't know what i did or what happened to make it take so long but i decided to buy a biowheel and after 3-4 days my cycle started. I'm on nitrite phase right now. i would highly suggest a biowheel in addition to your power filter, although it is not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom