Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pooneil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys

As I've said in the Introduction section, we've have a second hand 260l bow fronted tank and have a quick question on cycling.

I've set up the tank with TetraPlant Complete Substrate below gravel, the various plants we've added already seem to be growing well. We have some large 'bog' wood that came from another aquarium and I added some water and media from our Edge to get the (second hand) external filter started. I ran this for about two weeks.

Ammonia and Nitrite remained at zero, so I added the 4 male Guppies from our old Edge. They've been in for almost four weeks and seem happy in their new home.

I've been regularly testing the water during this time. Ammonia and Nitrite have still not risen above 0. Nitrate levels have been between 5 and 10 ppm.

After all the waffle, finally, my question. I was expecting a rise in Ammonia, if not before I added the fish, certainly after. Is it possible that the tank has established a balance without me noticing?

We'd like to add some more fish. Is this wise, or should we wait?

Thanks in advance

it's possible the amount of fish you have arent causing the ammonia levels to rise with the plants that you have in the tank. I could see adding a few more fish. also the media you added from your other tank would have made the cycle short to non existent.

Thanks, Mr Nowhere.

I'll add some Tetras now then and keep a check.

Well you wont get an ammonia or nitrite reading before putting fish in unless you add an ammonia source to the water. The guppys are probably producing ammonia that your seeded material can deal with. Your probably cycled but add fish slowly. Your filter needs time to adjust to extra ammonia levels

Back
Top Bottom