Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been filled (hopefully cycling), for 3 weeks now. I have a 75 gallon tank, with 7 Zebra Danios in it. I am using 2 filter systems. (Marineland Penguin 350, and Emperor 400). My readings for the first 2 weeks were really skewed due to a high Nitrite level in my tap water. So I did 2 water changes, 50% each time with better water and that helped immensely. So for the last week my water readings, using the API freshwater test kit, have been 1.0 ammonia level (that is also the reading that my tap water reads from the faucet), Nitrite level is 0, and Nitrate level is also 0. So does that mean after 3 weeks my tank has not even begun to start the Nitrogen cycle? Please help. Thanks

Doesn't appear so..are you using any seeded media?

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sometimes it can take a while for it to start and like the above poster said, seeded media would help. Some fast growing plants would help with your fish though while your tank cycles (anacharis; hornwort)

Thanks for the replies. My PH is a little high, around 8. Not using seeded media, as I don't have a source to get any. So I assume it is just a waiting game. I am assuming it will have to start since their is fish in there, so there is always a presence of ammonia in there?

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replies. My PH is a little high, around 8. Not using seeded media, as I don't have a source to get any. So I assume it is just a waiting game. I am assuming it will have to start since their is fish in there, so there is always a presence of ammonia in there?

You could check with your local fish store to see if they have some bio-media they might give you to help with your cycle..that's assuming you have one close by and that they keep healthy aquariums...as for ammo,did you test your source water for ammo?
Just don't let ammo get above 1 ppm with fish in or you run the risk of causing damage to their gills..

My tap water ir registering around a .75 ppm on ammonia. Color is between .5 and 1

My tap water ir registering around a .75 ppm on ammonia. Color is between .5 and 1

What product do you to treat your source water before adding to the tank?Also keep up with daily tests to insure the health of your fish doesn't become an issue,do a wc (25%-50% or as needed) when levels become dangerous..fish-in cycling can take awhile to complete,like mentioned before try to get a hold of some seeded media to help you along..

i have been doing a fish-in cycle for almost 4 weeks with no seeded media and today was the first day I showed a spike in nitrite levels. do not become discouraged as it takes a while.

Back
Top Bottom