Cycling question, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldfishlover101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a five gallon that I'm currently cycling. I'm adding ammonia and testing the water every day. I have been adding 9 drops of ammonia per day. As of today, the ammonia is 3-5ppm and the nitrite is around 3-5ppm also. Do I start adding 4 or 5 drops of ammonia now or do I keep adding 9? I'm a little confused, thanks.

Continue dosing ammonia until you hit 4ppm. I always try to shoot for 4ppm, without fish in there (obviously). If your cycle is complete it will convert that ammonia rather quickly. Keep dosing until your ammonia and nitrites hit 0. After that, do a PWC and add your first batch of fish! You are on the right track, keep it up!

Hucklebuck, you dose ammonia to the tank to jump start the Nitrogen Cycle. Without adding any ammonia, or a food source, the bacteria in the tank have nothing to feed off of. No ammonia, no cycle. Period.

PS - I hope you aren't adding goldfish to this 5 gal tank!!!! I know you're a goldfish lover and all... LOL :)

Thank you for your help. So just keep adding the 9 drops until everything goes down to zero? Lol, nope, no goldfish! I actually give up on goldfish. Haha I couldn't keep them alive in my 20 gal

Back
Top Bottom