Cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmul2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am fairly new to fish keeping and I recently bought a 38 gal freshwater aquarium. About a week ago, I added tetra safe start to my aquarium and my ph is 7.8, ammonia .25ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 0ppm, can I add some fish now? Or do I need to do something else to get my tank safe for fish?

:welcome: to the forum! With the safe start I would still wait. Ammonia and nitrite needs to be at 0 and nitrate can be 20 or lower. Under my post as my signature is a link for newbies. There's a link under that link to help get you cycled!

Fish-In Tank Cycling

Hi, I am fairly new to fish keeping and I recently bought a 38 gal freshwater aquarium. About a week ago, I added tetra safe start to my aquarium and my ph is 7.8, ammonia .25ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 0ppm, can I add some fish now? Or do I need to do something else to get my tank safe for fish?

Hello Pm...

You can add a few fish any time. It's the fish waste that starts the "Nitrogen Cycle". You should use hardy fish. Platys, Guppies, White Clouds and Zebra Danios are good for a smaller tank.

You must have a reliable water testing kit handy, because you'll need to test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. When you have a positive test result, then you must remove a quarter of the tank water and replace that with pure, treated tap water.

When you have several daily tests that read "0" for the above toxins, then your tank is cycled.

I put stem plants in the tank to help with the cycle. Anacharis and Pennywort worked well.

B

Hello Pm...

You can add a few fish any time. It's the fish waste that starts the "Nitrogen Cycle". You should use hardy fish. Platys, Guppies, White Clouds and Zebra Danios are good for a smaller tank.

You must have a reliable water testing kit handy, because you'll need to test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. When you have a positive test result, then you must remove a quarter of the tank water and replace that with pure, treated tap water.

When you have several daily tests that read "0" for the above toxins, then your tank is cycled.

I put stem plants in the tank to help with the cycle. Anacharis and Pennywort worked well.

B

Thank you! How many of those fish you suggested should I get?

I just wanna add if you don't intended on keeping zebra danios why get them? Just my opinion. Do a fish in cycle with what fish you want. Just stay on too of water changes and testing. Read the link.

Fish-In Cycling

Thank you! How many of those fish you suggested should I get?

Hello again Pm...

I used 8 feeder female Guppies when I cycled my 30 gallon tank. They all made it and now I have six tanks with 100s of Guppies. 6 to 8 of one of the species I listed earlier is plenty for the tank you have.

Just a suggestion, there are a number of alternatives.

B

As Brad said there are different ways. Although I agree somewhat I so respectfully disagree with some of what he said. But... It's healthy to disagree asking as its with respect and finesse.

IMO of your gonna do a fish in cycle. Do it with what you plan on stocking it with. All my fish in cycles have been with fish I intended to keep and I still have them today (over 2 years later)

Good luck which ever way you choose and keep us posted.

The link I mentioned has information about fish in cycling. I agree with convict, get the fish you want if your doing fish in cycling. Otherwise if u don't like the fish you buy ull want to return them and ull end up spending more money on fish then u need to.

Up to you though

Fish-In Tank Cycling

Hello again Pm...

The list of fish I gave was simply from my research and give you a choice of either "Liverbearers", the Guppies and Platys and the "Egglayers". These were supposedly the fish that could easily tolerate the unstable water chemistry that you'll have during the cycling process.

You're definitely welcomed to go with whatever fish you want.

The available information on cycling changes like the weather. This is just what I found that worked.

Your call, you're the tank keeper.

B

Back
Top Bottom