Cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am currently cycling my 10 gallon tank. I was wondering if it is a problem that I can't test the water and add ammonia all the time because I'm usually at my mom's house more than I am at my dad's house. Also, I attempted to cycle this same tank before but I ended up testing the water wrong (long story) and I had been adding WAY less ammonia than I needed to. I am already seeing some nitrites and ammonia is dropping. Could I have cycled my tank "a little bit?" Thanks!

A little bit of cycling is a possiblity. The bacteria will consume any ammonia that is in the water and will only grow so much on a small amount of ammonia. The BB should be fine in the tank if they go a day or 2 without an added source of ammonia, but from what I've seen if this is going to be the case; just put a single shrimp inside a filter media bag and leave it in the water. Then you will have your own time release ammonia source for when you aren't able to be there.

A little bit of cycling is a possiblity. The bacteria will consume any ammonia that is in the water and will only grow so much on a small amount of ammonia. The BB should be fine in the tank if they go a day or 2 without an added source of ammonia, but from what I've seen if this is going to be the case; just put a single shrimp inside a filter media bag and leave it in the water. Then you will have your own time release ammonia source for when you aren't able to be there.

Thank you! Is it a problem if ammonia drops to zero?

Nope, the ammonia is supposed to drop to zero. It's a sign that your cycle is getting closer to being done. Although, if you go too long without adding more ammonia you will start to lose some of the BB in your tank.

Nope, the ammonia is supposed to drop to zero. It's a sign that your cycle is getting closer to being done. Although, if you go too long without adding more ammonia you will start to lose some of the BB in your tank.

One more question: I tested my water for nitrite like 3 days ago and it was at about 5 ppm, maybe 4 or 3, and then I tested the water yesterday, and It was at 0.25. Could my cycle be done? (Or almost done?)

One more question: I tested my water for nitrite like 3 days ago and it was at about 5 ppm, maybe 4 or 3, and then I tested the water yesterday, and It was at 0.25. Could my cycle be done? (Or almost done?)

Your cycle is getting close to being done. You know for sure that it's done when you dose up to 4ppm ammonia and in 24 hours it is completely converted into nitrate.

Your cycle is getting close to being done. You know for sure that it's done when you dose up to 4ppm ammonia and in 24 hours it is completely converted into nitrate.

I did this, and my ammo and nitrite are at 0! I think I'm done! Can I go 2-3 days without ammonia? Should I change the water?

Well at this point I would do a minimum 90% water change, wait an hour, test your nitrate to make sure it's at an okay level, and then add your fish! :) Two days without ammonia shouldn't hurt anything.

Back
Top Bottom