Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycling questions... how much and which brands?

Soon I will be the owner of a shiny new 50 gallon acrylic tank. I am thinking plastic foliage but am beginning to get the bug to use real plants.

Anyway, I have read this excellent post: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html

Question:

1. How do I know how much ammonia to add?
2. How do I know how much anti-chlorine juice to add and what is a good brand?
3. Is there an optimum temperature?
4. Regarding adding a shrimp to get things started... is it a dead frozen raw shrimp? Do I thaw it? How long do I keep it in there?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarls Gnarlington View Post
Soon I will be the owner of a shiny new 50 gallon acrylic tank. I am thinking plastic foliage but am beginning to get the bug to use real plants.

Anyway, I have read this excellent post: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html

Question:

4. Regarding adding a shrimp to get things started... is it a dead frozen raw shrimp? Do I thaw it? How long do I keep it in there?

Even though I didn't do a fish-less cycle .... Others have had success.

I'm not qualified to answer the first question ... but instead of shrimp, you can get janitorial grade ammonia from Ace hardware as your ammonia source ...you'll have enough to last forever. That specific brand is what members have recommended. If you decide to go that route ... just make sure it doesn't have any surfactants or other additives ... just the ammonia.

For question two ... Seachem Prime is a good de-chlorinator AA members highly recommend. The bottle tells you exactly how many mL to add during a PWC.

As for temperature ... I'm sure most members keep the tanks at about room temp.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarls Gnarlington

Question:

Good luck on your fishless cycle

1) Ammonia strengths are all very different. The Ace brand is very potent and only takes a small amount to get to 4ppm. The Blue Ribbon brand I used took almost 300 drops. Maybe add around a teaspoon at first for a 55 gallon, let the water circulate for 15-20 minutes, test the level, add more if necessary, circulate, test, etc...

2) I fully agree with the Seachem Prime recommendation. I believe a capful treats 50 gallons.

3) Temp is best for a fishless cycle between 77-85 degrees. This is the range the nitrifying bacteria colonizes the fastest.

4) I would recommend strongly against using shrimp. It can introduce different nasties into your tank like molds, fungus, etc.

Thanks for doing a fishless cycle. Your fish will be very happy with the safe home you're building for them.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
Thanks for doing a fishless cycle. Your fish will be very happy with the safe home you're building for them.
That's very kind of you.

Tags
cycling, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com