Originally Posted by Gnarls Gnarlington
Soon I will be the owner of a shiny new 50 gallon acrylic tank. I am thinking plastic foliage but am beginning to get the bug to use real plants.
Anyway, I have read this excellent post: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
1. How do I know how much ammonia to add?
2. How do I know how much anti-chlorine juice to add and what is a good brand?
3. Is there an optimum temperature?
4. Regarding adding a shrimp to get things started... is it a dead frozen raw shrimp? Do I thaw it? How long do I keep it in there?
Good luck on your fishless cycle
1) Ammonia strengths are all very different. The Ace brand is very potent and only takes a small amount to get to 4ppm. The Blue Ribbon brand I used took almost 300 drops. Maybe add around a teaspoon at first for a 55 gallon, let the water circulate for 15-20 minutes, test the level, add more if necessary, circulate, test, etc...
2) I fully agree with the Seachem Prime recommendation. I believe a capful treats 50 gallons.
3) Temp is best for a fishless cycle between 77-85 degrees. This is the range the nitrifying bacteria colonizes the fastest.
4) I would recommend strongly against using shrimp. It can introduce different nasties into your tank like molds, fungus, etc.
Thanks for doing a fishless cycle. Your fish will be very happy with the safe home you're building for them.