Cycling "stats"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
My second tank, has been running for about 2 weeks now(borrowed some gravel and balls from a well established tank). The readings are: Ammonia---1.0ppm (high I know, but read on), nitrites----.25ppm, and Nitrates----5ppm. While I thought these were odd readings, I redid them again and got the same thing...what's it look like to you guys? There are fish in the aquarium, so I know keep up with daily/semi-daily PWC.....

I think you've got the bacteria that turns nitrites into nitrates but not the bacteria that turns ammonia into nitites. That's just my theory lol I'm not an expert on cycling some other people on here should know more than I do.

It shouldn't take long since you seeded from an established tank. I'd recommend daily 50% water changes until it cycles through. If you could take some more gravel or bioballs out of your other tank, it might help things move along more quickly.

+1 for severum mama.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? It wouldn't surprise me if there were 5ppm of nitrates out of the faucet.

+1 for severum mama.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? It wouldn't surprise me if there were 5ppm of nitrates out of the faucet.

OK, you hit it, my tap water has 5ppm nitrates, what is a dangerous level? I am going to be adding a couple plants and hope that helps some.
the ammonia is down to .5, and nitrites up to .5 also, so the cycle is going along. just worried once the nitrates hit the already 5ppm. anything I can add to tap water to help out? or maybe buy bottled water for water changes once it cycles?

Back
Top Bottom