Cycling Tank After Move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I moved my tank over to my new house this past weekend and have it up and running. The problem is that while cleaning out the tank and moving everything I let the decorations and filter media dry out. I also scrubbed the whole tank down and hosed off the gravel. As such I have no viable seed material for setting up the tank. I have kept my fish in a bucket with an air stone, but my two prized blue dolphin cichlids have already died. I've been testing for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I have been reading a steady 3 ppm ammonia since adding some fish food Monday, and none of it has been converted to nitrites/nitrates yet. I can't get my hands on any good seed material until next weekend. What should i do to speed up the cycle? Any comments are appreciated.

I would put the fish in the aquarium, if you haven't done that already - any sized bucket would be extremely stressful for your fish, and would probably lead to death. Just be sure to do a huge water change every day, and you should be fine.

Thank you I will put them in. How long will the cycle take with fish in the tank

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Test your water daily do 50% water changes anytime it gets over .25ppm and if you don't have time to get the change done do a double dose of prime which should get you through until you can get it done. Now it's just a waiting game and you are doing a fish in which is a total pain in the butt.
Cycle with no seed material can take up to 8 weeks, but every tank is different.

Back
Top Bottom