cycling whit ammonia after added conditioner nutrafin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found out about fishless cycling after adding Nutrafin cycle to my new tank. The thing is, I would like to know if i can cycle the right way ( by adding pure ammonia) even if i added a ammonia and nitrite eliminator?

And if yes, i guest i should remove the filter called Zeo-carb? Its for removing carbon and ammonia. By removing it, what should i replace it whit?

The setup is for plant (moss) aquarium. The plants will be possibly be added on flourite while aquarium his being cycle. Hope im not to confusing.

Of course you can. =] Do a few large pwc's are remove the ammonia-removing filter, replacing the media instead with some filter floss or some pellets that bacteria can grow on.

Rosenweiss said:
Of course you can. =] Do a few large pwc's are remove the ammonia-removing filter, replacing the media instead with some filter floss or some pellets that bacteria can grow on.

Agreed :). Lose the zeo-carb, add the ammo in and you'll be on your way to a fishless cycle.

Wow, thanks for the response, I will do the water change (75%) remove the fluval zeo-carb and add the ammo.
Unfortunately I cant get pure ammo her in Quebec, so I have to find a way to get some from the hospital or schools.
I'm still not sure about some filter I have in stock, like, Fluval BioMax (white ring) and Fluval Peat Granules. I can put 3 stage and 4 foam pad.
What should I use while I'm cycling and after I'm cycling and in what order should it be.
I thought of adding 2 Biomax and the filter floss that Rosenweiss told me?

Patrice said:
Wow, thanks for the response, I will do the water change (75%) remove the fluval zeo-carb and add the ammo.
Unfortunately I cant get pure ammo her in Quebec, so I have to find a way to get some from the hospital or schools.
I'm still not sure about some filter I have in stock, like, Fluval BioMax (white ring) and Fluval Peat Granules. I can put 3 stage and 4 foam pad.
What should I use while I'm cycling and after I'm cycling and in what order should it be.
I thought of adding 2 Biomax and the filter floss that Rosenweiss told me?

The peat isn't necessary unless you're trying to lower the pH to suit certain sensitive fish. Almost every fish can adapt to a wide range of pH levels, and prefer constant levels instead of fluctuating. Using peat will cause pH swings during water changes.

In my Fluval 405 canister filter I have the BioMax in my middle 2 trays, and poly-fil in my bottom tray used as a water polisher. I also have the 5 mechanical filtration pads as part of the filter.

In my fluvial i have now 2 BioMax for the bacteria. 1 poly-fil and filters. Thats it lol. simple then it look.

So you did do a water change before adding the "real" ammonia? I'm in the exact same boat. Found this site yesterday and bought ammonia today. Had been using only nutrafin up til now.

Just make sure there are no surfuctants. Shake the bottle. Foamy bubbles=bad.

So you did do a water change before adding the "real" ammonia? I'm in the exact same boat. Found this site yesterday and bought ammonia today. Had been using only nutrafin up til now.

lol, thats they easy part to fix, remove all the water you can, and start over. After that use they ammonia. The thing is, that you need to build up the real good bacteria, nutrafin is a subtitute of bacteria that don't live for long(thats why you have to add some all the time, that means that your aquarium will not be stable. (stable is important for fish).

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom