Cycling with Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silverton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I'm planning on setting up my tank to start cycling this weekend. I went to Ace Hardware to get some ammonia, and my question of the day is how much ammonia do I add. More specifically, is there a ratio per gallon or something like that I can follow, or do I just add a bit at a time until I reach 4ppm? Hope this question makes sense.

Silverton said:
So, I'm planning on setting up my tank to start cycling this weekend. I went to Ace Hardware to get some ammonia, and my question of the day is how much ammonia do I add. More specifically, is there a ratio per gallon or something like that I can follow, or do I just add a bit at a time until I reach 4ppm? Hope this question makes sense.

You just add a little at a time and Test, until it reach 4 ppm. If it helps at all, it took my 60 gallon 2-2.25 teaspoons to get to 4 ppm.

This will help you! Just enter your tank size, % of ammonia (ace is 10%) and the pmm- its set on a defualt of 5ppm, change this to 4ppm.

Calculator

I recommend using a 1ml medicine dropper to dispense the ammonia. Pretty hard for even a klutz like me to have a spill and being 1 ml for each squeeze keeps it in line with the calculator used jlk linked you to.

jlk said:
This will help you! Just enter your tank size, % of ammonia (ace is 10%) and the pmm- its set on a defualt of 5ppm, change this to 4ppm.

Calculator

Thank you! This is a huge help!

Kuhnini said:
I recommend using a 1ml medicine dropper to dispense the ammonia. Pretty hard for even a klutz like me to have a spill and being 1 ml for each squeeze keeps it in line with the calculator used jlk linked you to.

That seems like good advice. I brought a syringe home from work that should be just the thing. Thanks for the help!

jlk said:

Calculator

The calculator worked perfectly! I've got my tank set up and the ammonia to 4 ppm. And so we begin...

It does not have to be that specific.

Just use your sense and drop a few small drops. Then test the water with your kit. For example, if it is 1ppm, and you want 4ppm, then drop another triple dose. Something like that. Start small.

No need to stress yourself to get such precise ratio.
It is not a laboratory that require precise 0.001ppm. Your tank will start cycling from anywhere between a tiny trace ammonia to to 6ppm+ ammonia. I've even overdosed once and it went off the scale (over the max the kit could tell), and my tank still cycled.

Ram8349 said:
It does not have to be that specific.

Just use your sense and drop a few small drops. Then test the water with your kit. For example, if it is 1ppm, and you want 4ppm, then drop another triple dose. Something like that. Start small.

No need to stress yourself to get such precise ratio.
It is not a laboratory that require precise 0.001ppm. Your tank will start cycling from anywhere between a tiny trace ammonia to to 6ppm+ ammonia. I've even overdosed once and it went off the scale (over the max the kit could tell), and my tank still cycled.

That's good to know! At least it will be hard to screw it up. I'm sure I'll have plenty of other things to mess up though! Thanks for your help!

Bearchumjs said:
Does anyone know how long it should take before nitrites start showing up?

I started to see nitrites about a week into the cycle. It could take longer though

George9 said:
I started to see nitrites about a week into the cycle. It could take longer though

I sure hope I start seeing nitrites soon! It's been a week now. At least doing the tests are fun. And I guess it gives me time to research the kind of fish I want...

Bearchumjs said:

It's been a week so far and no increase in nitrites. From what I hear, getting from nitrite to nitrate takes even longer than ammonia to nitrite... So, I'll be at this awhile I guess. Just hope I didn't leave out some crucial step or something.

Silverton said:
It's been a week so far and no increase in nitrites. From what I hear, getting from nitrite to nitrate takes even longer than ammonia to nitrite... So, I'll be at this awhile I guess. Just hope I didn't leave out some crucial step or something.

I don't think you left out anything... I don't know though. Maybe you'll see something tomorrow. You have your heater on right? What's your water temp and pH? I remember hearing something about pH and water temp affecting cycle times. Where's Mumma.of.two? She knows more than me about this stuff. LOL!

Your doing fine! It typically can take anywhere from 1-3 wks to see nitrites start to show up when your starting from scratch. The nitrite>nitrate phase can take twice as long. Do you have any cycled media (friend, lfs, etc) you can get ahold of? This will speed the process up. If your interested, many members have had success cycling their tanks using 'active' filters from Angelsplus (live, seeded filters)- heres the link if your interested.

Sponge Filters for aquariums

There is no fixed time since the condition in everyone's tank is not the same.

My first fishless cycle took over 3 weeks just to see the first sign of nitrite. I did try to seed the bacteria with a decoration from a friend's established tank.

My later fishless cycle were much faster with the help of Tetra SafeStart. It took no more than a week for the entire cycle to finish.

jlk said:
Your doing fine! It typically can take anywhere from 1-3 wks to see nitrites start to show up when your starting from scratch. The nitrite>nitrate phase can take twice as long. Do you have any cycled media (friend, lfs, etc) you can get ahold of? This will speed the process up. If your interested, many members have had success cycling their tanks using 'active' filters from Angelsplus (live, seeded filters)- heres the link if your interested.

Unfortunately no one I know has an aquarium. I guess I'm in it for the long haul. And then you know what's going to happen? I'm going to leave for a week on vacation and all my bacteria are going to starve and die and then I'll have to start the whole thing over... Unless I can find someone to monitor it for me. *sigh* What to do, what to do.... I'll take a look at that link. Thanks!

Silverton said:
Unfortunately no one I know has an aquarium. I guess I'm in it for the long haul. And then you know what's going to happen? I'm going to leave for a week on vacation and all my bacteria are going to starve and die and then I'll have to start the whole thing over... Unless I can find someone to monitor it for me. *sigh* What to do, what to do.... I'll take a look at that link. Thanks!

Well, you know me but the bb would probably die before it came in the mail. I wonder how much shipping it 2 day mail would cost...

The bb can actually live for days without food or, alternately, you can throw some raw shrimp in the tank while away. Nothing to worry about! :)

jlk said:
The bb can actually live for days without food or, alternately, you can throw some raw shrimp in the tank while away. Nothing to worry about! :)

Really!?! You give me such hope! So just toss in a raw shrimp? I can do that. Thanks for your expertise! I'll be gone for over a week so I'll do it just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom