cycling with an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 (filter cartridge questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started cycling my 29 gal. I assume I had to somewhat "re-start" due to switching out my substrate (first substrate we determined contained something driving the pH through the roof, to the low to mid 8's).

The pH has stabilized at a more reasonable level, mid/upper 7's, but still higher than I'd prefer.

Also our filter cartridge is dark brown, I think because of dust that wasn't properly washed off the original substrate. I'm also thinking it might have some lingering particles causing the pH to still be on the high side. Either way, it won't "wash" if I swish it around in tank water (did a PWC yesterday) so I'm thinking I should change it.

The Aqueon has a blue plastic thing that holds the carbon cartridge that they call a "biological filter" - which leads me to believe they at least claim the bacteria colonize it moreso than the floss or carbon in the cartridge.

If I switch out the dirty carbon filter will it affect cycling significantly? Or maybe put the new one in and stick the old one behind it for a while? I'm of the mindset that it's better to do it now than later.

After becoming more familiar with the filtration components, I'd say go ahead and swap out the floss/carbon cartridge. I was not clear what parts you referring to in previous posts. If the blue pieces are to do what they were designed to do, then they should be hosting the BB and not the cartridge. In system where the only filter element is the cartridge, then you would want to keep the cartridge as long as possible.

After becoming more familiar with the filtration components, I'd say go ahead and swap out the floss/carbon cartridge. I was not clear what parts you referring to in previous posts. If the blue pieces are to do what they were designed to do, then they should be hosting the BB and not the cartridge. In system where the only filter element is the cartridge, then you would want to keep the cartridge as long as possible.

Right, but do the bacteria really stick more towards those parts? It's not like we can "make" them do that.

Right, but do the bacteria really stick more towards those parts? It's not like we can "make" them do that.

Well, if you ask a company that sells ceramic or sintered glass biological media, then they'd probably say " No!". They would cite something about the bacteria being hydrophilic and the plastic being hydrophobic. I believe a lot of plastic media used as biological media in the pond and aquaria scene literally "trickled down" (bad pun) from the water treatment and chemical processing industries. Void space, surface area, self-cleaning, light weight properties. Really, almost any surface can become colonized, though one might question the actual usable surface area available in the plastic components in the Aqueon QuietOne.

Back
Top Bottom