Cycling with api quick starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how do I cycle with it?

Follow the directions for how much to add, supply an ammonia source and a stable environment for the bacteria to grow, wait until the tank can consume 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours resulting in 0 nitrites and "some" nitrates.

Generally you will see ammonia drop, nitrites spike. Keep the up the ammonia dosing until the nitrites bottom out, perform water changes to keep the nitrates at acceptable levels (~20ppm).

API makes a great freshwater master test kit.

Hello Sb...

I'd recommend against using a bacteria booster. The product can cycle a tank in a few days or a few months. You generally end with a tank full of unstable water. A tank cycled slowly and a careful attention to the water changes with a few hardy fish, like Guppies, Platys, Rasboras or Danios will maintain a steady ammonia source and establish the tank in a month. This way, you enjoy fish from the beginning. Then, with a tank with a steady water chemistry, you just remove and replace half the water weekly to maintain healthy water conditions for the fish.

B

Using media (filter floss, sponge, ceramic media, etc) from a filter that has been running in an established aquarium will help get the cycling process going. I trust this method over most bacteria in a bottle solutions.

Using media (filter floss, sponge, ceramic media, etc) from a filter that has been running in an established aquarium will help get the cycling process going. I trust this method over most bacteria in a bottle solutions.

+1... substrate like gravel from a cycled tank paired with filter media works best for me.

Back
Top Bottom