Cycling with betta ,and zebra dinaos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesturday I brought 3 Zebra dineos to cycle my 10 gallon tank I filled it up with water, and water conditioner. I have lots of fake plants and rocks for them to hide in. I have a betta fish as-well, and he was in a 1.5 gallon tank. I noticed that h looked very stressed and started to stay on the bottom of the tank, I even noticed what I think s fin rot. I decided to put him inside the 10 gallon tank with the 3 zebra dianos. Will this be ok for all four those fish to cycle the tan or should I put the betta back in his small tank?

Put the betta back. His fin rot could be from dirty water, so you need to change the water out in his small tank twice a week, and make sure it's warm enough.

I found out that he doesnt have fin rot,can I still keep him in to cycle the tank?

Well what is wrong with him then? I would cycle the tank with just the danios, since that's what you have, and leave the betta by himself for now.

Well Would it be bad to cycle the tank with the danios and the betta?

Are you going to be doing the daily, sometimes several times a day, water changes that it is going to take to keep your ammonia levels and nitrite levels as close to zero as possible?

If not, it is bad idea to cycle with any fish.

If you are willing to do what it takes to keep the parameters in check, it shouldn't be a problem. However if your betta is already sick, it is a bad idea to stress it even more by putting it through the cycle, on the flip side of that, if it is in a dirty tank right now it's not really going to make a difference.

Be aware though that depending on your bettas personality, the danios could become lunch. Also, the danios may nip the fins of the betta. IME, they aren't a good combo to keep together.

I agree with Blue,
IME, Cycling with Danios is ok, as long as you do Daily water testing & PWC as necessary. I cycled all my tanks using Danios, but also keeping close eye on my water Params. Always keep .25 or below your Ammonia/Nitrite Levels.
As for your betta & Danios together in a small tank is not a good idea. It will stress your Betta since it is territorial and the Danios will only bother him.
I'd keep the Betta in the 1.5 and your Danios in the 10g.

I'm willing to do daily water changes 10-20%
Also they Stay away from him and the dainos don't mess with him at all.
So can I keep him in,and BTW he's not sick?

The way I look at... the less fish in the tank that is cycling, the better. Why did you choose to cycle with fish? It will take longer to complete and is a LOT more work. Just ask how I know.. LOL.

I'm willing to do daily water changes 10-20%
Also they Stay away from him and the dainos don't mess with him at all.
So can I keep him in,and BTW he's not sick?

I had to do daily water changes of about 60-80% with my neons. Sometimes I even had to do it2-3 times daily! I had a 20g tank.

Do your water changes and if you do a test before and after, you can get a much better idea of what the levels actually are in your tank.

Sometimes, my nitrites were at 3, AFTER the first water change! I can’t imagine what they were before…

As sad as it is, it’s probably better for your fish to cycle w/out them.

Lastly,
Oh, and lastly, as much as my neons tended to stay away from the goldfish that were in with them, they had to sleep sometime – and that’s when they got nabbed!

Sorry no Pictures.
Also I think cycling with fish is better.
I have strip test that are telling me that I have some nitrates,and some nitrites lol.
I'm going to get the liquid API test.
I will do water changes every day with a cup until I get the vaccum.

Care to explain why you think cycling with fish is better? Everything seems to suggest that fishless is not only faster but much less work. All those water changes you have to do... you wouldn't need to if you did fishless. You can let ammonia and nitrites sky rocket without fish in the tank. This makes the cycle complete faster.

And... the biggest reason, your fish won't suffer!

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate so getting the API test kit should be a priority. Good luck and keep on doing water changes.

Better..hmm... I'm with meegosh on this one and would like to know why you think this.

As long as the bateria have an ammonia source, they have no clue if it is from fish or out of a bottle.

Listen I don't want to hear your complaining
I have fish,and I need to know how to keep my fish alive during the cycling.
I'm doing a cycle with fish just tell me how to do water changes and stop preaching to me.
I'm sorry,but alls I'm worried about right now is my fish,and how to keep them healty.

Complaining? Because they're asking an ethical question? Because they are asking you why you'd risk your fish? And if you read the rules to this site you'd know that we believe in the ethical treatment of critters. It's only "preaching" when you're taking it the wrong way. They are trying to help educate you.

And as meegosh already stated, water changes will need to be done to keep the ammonia below .25, anything higher and you risk the fish. Water changes need to be done until nitrAtes get to zero.

Dragonfish? do you mean nitrates or nitrites get to zero? (Regardless nitrItes need to be below .25ppm as well.)

You need to get an accurate test kit, API master freshwater test kit and post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. From there we can give better advice. Until then do water changes... the more the merrier.

I wasn't "complaining" about what you are doing. I made the same mistake years ago. I have since learned that fishless is much easier, quicker and safer. Was trying to share some lessons learned... thats all. Good luck.

rocktrns - I see you joined recently - welcome to Aquarium Advice!

No one is complaining about what you're doing - we're all concerned about our aquatic pets and as the others have said we're trying to help you based on our experiences.

Yes, doing a fishless cycle would have been better for the fish and easier for you. Since you do have fish, an accurate liquid reagent test kit and diligent water changes are necessary.

We know you care about your fish too or you wouldn't be here :) Follow the good advice given by the other members, post back with your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) so like meegosh said, we can help you better.

Back
Top Bottom