cycling with fish and no readings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! I know everyone here is all for the fishless cycling, but cycling with fish is what I grew up with and my father has always had great success. However, I started a new tank last week, and still have no ammonium or nitrite readings. PH is at 7.8. I have 6 fish in a 33 gallon half hexagon tank. They seem happy, swimming around checking everything out, picking at the rocks at the bottom of the tank. Just wondering what could be going on?

Just give it time and keep testing. Was the filter completely new? Did you use any bacteria boosters?

filtration was brand new. Its a penguin 200 biowheel.

The only thing I've added to the water is Stress Coat+ which I added to the water when I filled it per instructions.

yes and it is a new kit. I'll give it some more time. Everything I've read about cycling tanks with fish say I should have seen a jump in ammonia by now. Hopefully My fish stay happy!

yes and it is a new kit. I'll give it some more time. Everything I've read about cycling tanks with fish say I should have seen a jump in ammonia by now. Hopefully My fish stay happy!

It depends on water volume, if it's a few small fish in a large tank combined with a fishkeeper that feeds lightly then it may take a while to see any substantial readings.

You aren't using any ammonia removing products in your filter right?

Fish-in cycling is often made out to be a lot harder than it really is, if you stock very lightly it can be a cake walk.

It depends on water volume, if it's a few small fish in a large tank combined with a fishkeeper that feeds lightly then it may take a while to see any substantial readings.

You aren't using any ammonia removing products in your filter right?

Fish-in cycling is often made out to be a lot harder than it really is, if you stock very lightly it can be a cake walk.

The fish I have stocked are in my signature.

I am not using any ammonia removing products, and I feed once a day, usually when I wake up in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom