Cycling with goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgrippy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, im new to this group, I just started a 35 gal freshwater tank. I don't have any live plants just plastic ones and fake Driftwood. My local fish store provided me with six small goldfish, less than two inches, to help cycle my aquarium. I'm also using a beneficial Bacteria booster as I've read multiple articles and posts where people advise using one. The store said to just bring them a water sample in two weeks to see if the levels are right. Should I be doing water changes in the meantime? If so how often or how much? Should I get my own test kit or just trust the store? My heater and filter are both running as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated for this newbie! 20170318_144627.jpg

Yes, do water changes until the tank is fully cycled. It's the only way to remove ammonia and nitrites from the water until your beneficial bacteria becomes colonized. I would probably do 30-40% every other day, at least.
I would advise getting your own test kit, and then test every few days. I'd recommend the API Master Test Kit. Chances are, the store will use test strips, which are often unreliable.
Using a booster is a matter of choice. I prefer natural ammonia, then letting the bacteria build up on it's own. Your gold fish are supplying the ammonia. One additive that I would recommend is Seachem Prime. Use it after each water change.
Even with fish in the tank, I wouldn't expect it to be fully cycled in 2 weeks, but you may get lucky. Often, it can take a month, or even more to get a tank fully cycled.
Good luck with your new tank, and welcome to one of the best hobbies in the world.

Thanks for the input! I plan on going to a different LFS tomorrow to get some more opinions and pick up a test kit. I have been using seachem prime according to the directions on the bottle. Today was day two with the goldfish and using the additive, I haven't done any water changes yet, however I will probably do one tomorrow after I get the test kit. I will still take a sample to the original LFS because they are expecting it and for another opinion. That's what I have been trying to do is just get as much information from as many people so that I don't mess it up.

That's always a good idea. No matter who - or how many people - you ask, you'll usually get that many opinions. That's a good thing usually, as it can give you varied, and normally usable info, but it can also be confusing. Mostly, you'll learn from experience though. I've been keeping aquariums and ponds for over 25 years, my wife for over 15, and we still learn something new almost daily, and still have questions. You came to the right place for advice. A lot of knowledgeable people here.

Woah how did u get your tank to be upside down [emoji23][emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom