Dads tank almost cycled...water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunk

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. Besides trying to get my new tank going I'm helping my dad cycle his. Everything has been going perfectly for his tanks fishless cycle. Right now he adds a little ammonia everyday and tonight time he has 0 amm 2 nitrites(was at or above 5 the previous 2 nights) and 120 nitrates(was 5 then 20 then 60 the past 3 nights). so I figure his tank is almost done cycling. So to the question. We should do a 80%-90% or whatever it takes to get nitrates around 20 before adding fish correct? And my most concerning question is we are using a python type thing to do water changes so the new 80% water will be coming straight out of the tap and then add water conditioner immediately when its filled back up. Is this ok or does the water need to be conditioned before adding to the tank. Will the few minutes its in there unconditioned kill all the good stuff? Please help if u can and thanks!

I would add the dechlorinator, like Prime, to the remaining water in the tank before you add the new water to the tank.
Also turn the filter off, on this way there is not chance for the chlorine to get to the filter, after 5 minutes you can turn the filter on again
Just my two cents

+1 to Edgar

You definitely want to have the dechlorinator in the remaining water before you add new water. Good circulation will help it remove the chlorine even faster.

The 80-90% should bring down the nitrates some, just be monitoring throughout the next few weeks or so that the nitrAtes do not sky rocket.

That should be fine as for filling the tank up without fish, but Im not sure with fish.

A lot of people use this method doing PWC with fish.
:p

Oh, I know, but I was meaning the python method. Im just wondering how your fish is able to survive while tap is pouring in (not de-chlorinated). Do you dose the tank first then add the water? (sorry for asking this, but I use the bucket method:cool:)

I agree with you that chlorine is bad (for fish and for bacteria), I always use my phyton and I put the Prime before I started to refill, also I shut off the filter pump.

But I have read that in big tanks, more than 55G, some people even add the Prime to the tank after.... which is weird to me also... they just are sure that the tap water temperature match the tank, but I read in this forum people saying that they always do it that way.

Interesting

Oh, I know, but I was meaning the python method. Im just wondering how your fish is able to survive while tap is pouring in (not de-chlorinated). Do you dose the tank first then add the water? (sorry for asking this, but I use the bucket method:cool:)

I use the bucket method too. But for some reason I thought I saw somewhere before that you could dose the conditioner after you add the tap water (with fish in my tank)...I have always done it this way with my 10G and the goldfishes and the plecos in my tank are still alive and well. If that is not right...then I guess I have to put the Prime first then in my tank before adding the new water?

I always learn something everyday..

If you are using buckets, I would add the prime to the water in the bucket before adding it to the tank... let it set a couple of minutes, and then add. That would be safest way imo.

With the python though, many people add the prime to the tank, then use the python... it will be fine. Prime acts very quickly.

If you are using buckets, I would add the prime to the water in the bucket before adding it to the tank... let it set a couple of minutes, and then add. That would be safest way imo.

With the python though, many people add the prime to the tank, then use the python... it will be fine. Prime acts very quickly.

thanks fort...that's a very good information...

Back
Top Bottom