Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gunk
Dads tank almost cycled...water change question

Hi everyone. Besides trying to get my new tank going I'm helping my dad cycle his. Everything has been going perfectly for his tanks fishless cycle. Right now he adds a little ammonia everyday and tonight time he has 0 amm 2 nitrites(was at or above 5 the previous 2 nights) and 120 nitrates(was 5 then 20 then 60 the past 3 nights). so I figure his tank is almost done cycling. So to the question. We should do a 80%-90% or whatever it takes to get nitrates around 20 before adding fish correct? And my most concerning question is we are using a python type thing to do water changes so the new 80% water will be coming straight out of the tap and then add water conditioner immediately when its filled back up. Is this ok or does the water need to be conditioned before adding to the tank. Will the few minutes its in there unconditioned kill all the good stuff? Please help if u can and thanks!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
I would add the dechlorinator, like Prime, to the remaining water in the tank before you add the new water to the tank.
Also turn the filter off, on this way there is not chance for the chlorine to get to the filter, after 5 minutes you can turn the filter on again
Just my two cents

ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

That is a great idea! Thanks, that makes perfect sense.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to Edgar

You definitely want to have the dechlorinator in the remaining water before you add new water. Good circulation will help it remove the chlorine even faster.

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

The 80-90% should bring down the nitrates some, just be monitoring throughout the next few weeks or so that the nitrAtes do not sky rocket.

That should be fine as for filling the tank up without fish, but Im not sure with fish.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A lot of people use this method doing PWC with fish.
:p
Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01 View Post
A lot of people use this method doing PWC with fish.
:p
Oh, I know, but I was meaning the python method. Im just wondering how your fish is able to survive while tap is pouring in (not de-chlorinated). Do you dose the tank first then add the water? (sorry for asking this, but I use the bucket method)
Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with you that chlorine is bad (for fish and for bacteria), I always use my phyton and I put the Prime before I started to refill, also I shut off the filter pump.

But I have read that in big tanks, more than 55G, some people even add the Prime to the tank after.... which is weird to me also... they just are sure that the tap water temperature match the tank, but I read in this forum people saying that they always do it that way.

Interesting
Old 02-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Planted Tank Addict

Send a message via MSN to daileene Send a message via Yahoo to daileene Send a message via Skype™ to daileene
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyspot1000 View Post
Oh, I know, but I was meaning the python method. Im just wondering how your fish is able to survive while tap is pouring in (not de-chlorinated). Do you dose the tank first then add the water? (sorry for asking this, but I use the bucket method)
I use the bucket method too. But for some reason I thought I saw somewhere before that you could dose the conditioner after you add the tap water (with fish in my tank)...I have always done it this way with my 10G and the goldfishes and the plecos in my tank are still alive and well. If that is not right...then I guess I have to put the Prime first then in my tank before adding the new water?

I always learn something everyday..

5G Planted|10G Planted|10G Planted #2|10G Paludarium #3|20G Long Planted|20G Long Planted#2
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous." (1 Cor. 13:4a)
daileene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If you are using buckets, I would add the prime to the water in the bucket before adding it to the tank... let it set a couple of minutes, and then add. That would be safest way imo.

With the python though, many people add the prime to the tank, then use the python... it will be fine. Prime acts very quickly.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Planted Tank Addict

Send a message via MSN to daileene Send a message via Yahoo to daileene Send a message via Skype™ to daileene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
If you are using buckets, I would add the prime to the water in the bucket before adding it to the tank... let it set a couple of minutes, and then add. That would be safest way imo.

With the python though, many people add the prime to the tank, then use the python... it will be fine. Prime acts very quickly.
thanks fort...that's a very good information...

5G Planted|10G Planted|10G Planted #2|10G Paludarium #3|20G Long Planted|20G Long Planted#2
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous." (1 Cor. 13:4a)
daileene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Everybody!

Tags
change, cycle, cycled, led, tan, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com