Danio Species Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Time to buy fish soon, and today's thought is 29 gallons of Danios.

My original plan was based one one from a book, which suggested 5 schools of 6 fish each, one of which was Danios. I liked them least but as I research more I'm liking them best.

I also have completely fallen in love with Celestial Pearl and Burmese Gold Ring Danios. I realize they are TINY for my tank but I think in a number of ways it would work, visually:

- The tank is in a place where it's viewed up close
- I'd have large numbers of each
- The tank and the room are simple and neutral (black, cream, some browns) so tiny bits of color really stand out a lot.
- Without other types of fish, the subtle differences between the danios would stand out more significantly.

What do you all recommend? Hardy schoolers, no glofish, several that are quite quite similar so those tiny markings that are different will be exaggerated?

And would I be asking for a lot of extra gravel vacuuming if I don't keep some pygmy cories in there? I do like them too just wonder if they'd be really out of place.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397097871.679419.jpg

Pretty distorted pic, water was super cloudy and I don't have a now front (the pano mode did that). But you get the idea.

I've never heard of the Burmese gold ring danios, but I know CPDs are pretty sensitive fish that need established tanks and do best in heavily planted tanks for keeping water quality pristine but also because they are very timid. You might have better success with some zebra, pearl, or leopard danios.
Corys are not a replacement for gravel vacuuming. They do not eat poop. You should always gravel vac regardless of what fish you have.

I've never heard of the Burmese gold ring danios, but I know CPDs are pretty sensitive fish that need established tanks and do best in heavily planted tanks for keeping water quality pristine but also because they are very timid. You might have better success with some zebra, pearl, or leopard danios.
Corys are not a replacement for gravel vacuuming. They do not eat poop. You should always gravel vac regardless of what fish you have.

Thanks!

And yes I'm glad you corrected me ... I didn't mean cores = zero vacuuming. I just meant if I have zero fish on the bottom doing clean up, will I have to vacuum twice as much.

Do CPDs stay shy when they're around only small fish? This book that originally got me thinking of "tinies" kept mentioning about the species on its list, "this one is usually shy but will be fine around these other small fish."

The gold ring are Danio Tinwini, they're about an inch.

Which other Danio are pretty sturdy, and small?

And what about the overall concept of having only very small fish in somewhat larger numbers?

Well, if you have enough food sitting on the bottom of the tank that needs "cleaning up" that's another problem in itself because you are feeding too much. There shouldn't be anything that needs to be cleaned up by other fish.
What I've read about CPDs is that they're shy if they're not in heavily planted tanks with lots of plant cover. But I've never personally owned them so you'll have to wait for someone who has to reply for that.
I think having small fish in large numbers is a great idea. Much more like their natural habitat. Rivercats has a few nano only fish tanks so you'll have to ask her about them! I think she also has CPDs.

You could emerald rasboras (they're actually a type of danio) as well. I love tanks this size and bigger for nano fish as you can have very large schools. I agree with Kuhligirl in that any nano fish would greatly appreciate more cover and any sort of live plants. Have you thought of trying an easy lowtech/lowlight plant setup?

I am reconsidering having live plants ...

You could start simple with a bunch of low maintenance plants. Java fern (including variations such as 'windelov', 'narrow leaf', and 'Philippine'), Java moss, anubias (again with all the different types) and crypts are all greater starter plants. The crypts are the only ones that need to be planted in substrate. You could get bushy types of crypts, ones that are grassy, ones that grow very tall, etc.

Back
Top Bottom