Dan's 29 Gallon Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds good. How efficient is DIY CO2? Is it worth it to spend more money on a pressurized. I've also seen paintball DIY co2, is that any good? Also, by carbon do you mean in my filter?

Thanks always!
Danny

I ment carbon as in a carbon source for plants (CO2 or excel). Should have been more clear about that.

DIY CO2 works, but it can fluxuate quite a bit. Pressurized systems are more reliable as well as tunable. Its definitely worth it in my book. Run it in addition to excel.

Many of the more experienced aquatic plant keepers say that you are better off spending you extra money on a CO2 system rather than better lights. Really it all depends on what you want to do with the tank.

Yeah, I'm new to plants lol. Thanks for your help. I planned on getting excel froma small amount of research, nice to have some reassurance.

What am I looking at for nice co2 ? Can you suggest one? I don't know how realistic this is, but I wouldn't want to go over $150. I don't think I'm even gonna have that many plants.

I was looking at fluvals small co2 for my 10 gallon because its only $30ish and I figured its a step up from DIY. I think its the one that comes with the fluval flora kit.

Played around in autodesk inventor today and think I have a good plan for my stand's frame.

standframe.png

I want it as sturdy as can be, I don't want to have a single accident with it. I'd probably cover the outside with 1/4" plywood, make a custom cabinet, shelves inside, and maybe use some moldings around the whole thing.

Heater arrived Friday, just got home today and was pleasantly surprised. Fluval M150.

My goal this week is to get rocks and wood and i have to decide what substrate I want to use.

Are there any substrates that will be best for the rams? I was looking at sand (it was called Tahitian Moon I believe; it was dark) and I'm thinking that may be a possibility because I remember reading somewhere that corydoras prefer a fine substrate?

Oh and a pic of the heater (its like $16 cheaper on amazon than in the cheapest lfs I could find)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110925_113457.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110925_113457.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 75
Amazon is great sometimes. I like to buy at the local stores but when its that big of a price difference, I can't really afford to. I got a case for my phone to bump it up to $25 for free shipping also, can't beat that.

Got a start on the stand today. Finished the framework, and very happy with the result. We're going to wrap the outside with 1/2" or 3/4" plywood, put in a shelf or two, and then probably stain. Such a nice day out! In the 80's and not a cloud in the sky. Can't ask for much more in October from my area!

imag0479d.jpg

Just getting started.

imag0483j.jpg

Today's progress! (y)

Jk looking good! Wish i had the skills and time to build my own stand. How much did materials cost?

Haha. We keep the plants alive through the winter too!

The materials, to this point, have cost a grand total of $0. I work with my uncle as a carpenter and we have a lot of spare wood that his built up in our basement over the years. My uncle gave me all the 2 x 4s because he wanted to get rid of some that he was storing, and we had all the screws and tools. We have the plywood for the shelf, but we're going to buy nice, new plywood to go around the frame.

Skill comes with practice! You'll never know whether or not you can do it, if you never try!

Back
Top Bottom