Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Dawrf gourami only fish,or get fish friends?

I started a new planted tank a little over a week ago with a dawrf gourami. As of now he is the only fish,im wondering if he would be happier alone or with some friends,and what tank mates are best.its a 10gallon tank.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know about your Gourami, but you would probably like a small school of tetras to add more color and movement to your tank. There are so many tetra varieties to choose from, just research to find the type you like.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've had 2 gouramis and they both were very docile and could keep them with other fish so I think it really depends on the gourami I would start him out with a few neon tetras see how he does then go from there also by adding only a few fish at a time your not over loading the bio load and allowing your tank to slowly build up more good bacteria to combat all the new fish
Old 10-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #4

Lucy
Keep a check on your water quality if its only been setup for a week, it could still be cycling. Are you running co2 and adding plant ferts etc? Dont rush in putting fish in, give it chance to settle down a bit first. Ph and amonia etc
Old 10-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Im not rushing putting fish in,just getting ideas probably be another week or two till i add any more fish,i have air pump heater and filter,no plant ferts dont think i really need them my plants seem fine,and im pretty sure my tank is fully cycled as of today,but plan to keep an eye on it for awhile still
Old 10-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #6

The only thing i added was declorinater and safe start
Old 10-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Yeah i like the neons,i kinda like mollies too but i know they can be bullies sometimes and my fish seems pretty docile
Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #8

Black mollies are calmer.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good luck
Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #10

Idk about black mollies are calmer,my aunt put one in the 75 gallon planted tank that i had that i gave her and it was always attacking and killing or eatting the other fish would even bully the goldfish that was like 3x its size
Old 10-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #11

Thats actually where i know mollies can be bullies came from the white one she had minded it own business though,so maybe along the line of every fish is different
Old 10-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #12

I get black mollies sometimes for hair algae...never had them attack anything. Tried orange ones and they did.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooboftanks View Post
I've had 2 gouramis and they both were very docile and could keep them with other fish so I think it really depends on the gourami I would start him out with a few neon tetras see how he does then go from there also by adding only a few fish at a time your not over loading the bio load and allowing your tank to slowly build up more good bacteria to combat all the new fish
I think i will take your advice and put some neons in and see how he reacts then go from there,thanks😊
Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

We have a beautiful male dwarf blue flame gourami in our 37 gal. tank. I have never seen him attack another fish but he is a bit of a bully darting after our orange platys and the male honey gourami. He leaves our panda cories, zebra danios, and female guppies alone.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #15

Update-got a bristle nose,(3 dalmation mollies,they were all sick with parasites when i got them the females were to far gone but the male survived and is doing better now)replaced the females mollies that didnt make it with two sailfin and one lyretail females,and and african clawed frog,and moved them to a 55 gallon.the gourami was bullying my male mollie but is leaving him alone and working on a bubble nest now that i added the female mollies,looking for a girl of his own i guess lol
Old 12-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #16

Turned my 10 gallon into a quarentine tank when i bought the sick mollies trying to save them,about to turn it into a fry tank,cuz im done adding fish now,and the male dalmation and my sailfins have already mated,so exicted waiting to see my little hybrid babies😊

Tags
fish, gourami, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com