dechlorinator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjrossi88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Something I never thought about, is it possible to over dose on dechlorinator? I don't have any fish yet but, once I do, can too much harm them or my cycle?? I'm using API Tap Water Dechlorinator

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As someone who is super paranoid about chlorine and ALWAYS overdoses water conditioner- if there was such a thing as overdosing it, my fish would all be dead by now. I sometimes dose a whole tank's worth for a 25% water change, just to be safe.

If you overdo it just a little bit I wouldn't worry about it. I dose for 50 gallons on my 45 gallon tank no problem.

Many of us on here use Seachem Prime as a primary dechlorinator because it can also detoxify ammonia into a less volatile state called ammonium.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Haha ok. I've been paranoid too. I guess I just don't believe that little amount of conditioner works on all that water. My next question was going to be should I dose for the whole tank during water changes or just the amount I'm replacing but you already answered that lol. With fish in, do you add the water to the tank and then condition it or do you condition in a bucket first and then add to tank? I only ask because I have one of those vacs that attach to my sink so I just didn't know if i should fill the tank and then condition or fill a bucket, condition, then add.

When I use a python I just add dechlorinator directly to the tank. My advice is to turn off the filter during this, as chlorine may get to your bacteria before the dechlorinator gets to the chlorine. A tiny bit of exposure won't hurt the fish but you can never be too careful with your bacteria.

Last edited:
I have always added Prime to my tank then commenced refilling. Never lost my cycle or damaged the BB.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Everything I've thought about and I never considered adding the conditioner and then the water lol. That would probably work best with the added water giving it a nice mix. I have turned off the filters for the big changes I've already done so I may still do that for large water changes just because I get paranoid lol. Shouldn't have to worry about that going smaller ones tho. Thanks for the input guys.

Out of interest has anyone actually overdosed a water conditioner to the point where it did something bad?

Out of interest has anyone actually overdosed a water conditioner to the point where it did something bad?

I haven't. I've overdosed but not even to the point of a double dose. Can't say it's something I want to try either ;)

Caleb

I've done a double dose I would say without any problems. I almost suspect the dose would have to be out by 10 times or something (perhaps).

I usually do an extra half a cap full. Just to be safe

I always treat 1 1/2 times with prime.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are prime and api stress coat comparable? Would you suggest one over the other?

Prime works. I never used anything else.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I started with Jungle Start dechlorinator in the beginning. Got Prime and never looked back.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom