deep gravel vac dust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This might be part of my ammonia problem (.25ppm to .5ppm out of tap anyway)

Last time I vac'd my tanks I got down really deep. Usually I just get the surface. I sunk that sucker as deep as I could. I was used to seeing snail shells and bits of food....

...this time I got a gray dust-like stuff coming out. My question is was I too vigorous and am I sucking up the bacteria or am I doing right and getting the deep down dirt?

I'm just worried that I will be starting a mini-cycle.

Does the bacteria stick to the gravel well enough that a gravel vac will not suck it up?

The mini cycles are an on going problem for one tank I have.

You are doing a good cleaning. You are more than likely getting old food and debri. You might be stirring things up that are releasing ammonia into the water, but getting that stuff out and doing a sizeable water change (50-75%) is a good thing.

cool cause the same little puff of dust came up when I transferred the sponge filter to the new tank. I was wondering if it was just gunk (food, poop, other debris) or might be a bacteria colony.

The key is how you fill your tank. Ranmasatome gave me a great idea when I was working on another tank. Put a garbage bag down overtop of your flourite, and then slowly pour the water over the garbage bag. DO NOT just dump your water in, otherwise this will agitate the flouriate and give you a cloudy mess that will last for a week. Slowly but surely keep filling the tank making sure not to upset the substrate.

what was another suggestion I heard? Something about placing a small plate to defuse the water.

I tend to use a 3g bucket and 2.5g water jugs when refilling my tanks.

what was another suggestion I heard? Something about placing a small plate to defuse the water.

I tend to use a 3g bucket and 2.5g water jugs when refilling my tanks.
yes a plate works. i use a dip and pour one of those things the lfs puts the fish in that hangs on the tank. that way the hose goes in the water goes up vs down.

when I am doing a water change, before sucking it out... I like to stir up the gravel to get all that nasty stuff out :)

Back
Top Bottom