Designing and Growing aquarium landscapes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tympst

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting ready to start a 20 gal long brackish tank for a figure eight puffer. I have an idea to grow an interesting landscape for the tank but I am not sure how to get started and general rules for what not to use in tanks for decor. I have used a method of applying moss to surfaces so that I can get a look I want. Basically you make a liquid moss mix that you can spray on and have at it. is there anything similar you can do with aquatic plants? Or any recommendations on growing a landscape.

I used fishing line to attach my moss to some mesh under the gravel, to a piece of driftwood and to a couple of ricks. It's a low-tech set-up so it's a slow grower, but it's starting to attach itself pretty good. I used my spiderwire line and even on the white rock I can't even see it.

Cool. thanks for the article and the moss/ spiderwire idea.

Has anyone on here made their own 3d rock wall/ background before?

Tympst said:
Cool. thanks for the article and the moss/ spiderwire idea.

Has anyone on here made their own 3d rock wall/ background before?

Yes! Love the 3D rock wall look. It's messy, but the final product is worth it. Use expanding spray foam (found in most any hardware store). Be sure to tape off any area that is not wall. I put down a layer of black silicone first. The spray foam looks ugly through the sides of the tank. Lay the tank on its side and lay out your rocks/driftwood in what ever landscape you want, then spray around them with the foam. Try not to get any on the surface you want showing. When it dries, you can carve away any any excess very easily and shape it a lil if desired. Now the messy part. You'll want rubber gloves and maybe old clothes. Use black or brown silicone to cover any foam that is showing. Work quickly. You don't want it to dry. Once it's covered, pile on sand or peat. I use peat because it looks more like dirt between the rocks and java moss will grow on it. Mash it into the wet silicone. You may have to work it into small grooves. Then you just let it dry over night and dump out the sand/peat that didn't stick. Viola!

Hope that helps. I just used this method to build a waterfall in my vivarium. I will post a thread if I can find the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom