Despair....New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bish67

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help.....New 20 gall tank...done everything by the book...including liquid testing (API. master) small wc through cycling....5 fish to start off with....now i have white spot grr.
Whats the best method of treating...read so much..raising temp..salt....ect?
Really want to do it with minimal stress to tank with all the good work put.....
From gutted beginner

Bish67 said:
Help.....New 20 gall tank...done everything by the book...including liquid testing (API. master) small wc through cycling....5 fish to start off with....now i have white spot grr.
Whats the best method of treating...read so much..raising temp..salt....ect?
Really want to do it with minimal stress to tank with all the good work put.....
From gutted beginner

What's in your tank? Is it tropical or cold water?

Bish67 said:
Tropical....3 platties 3 black neon...live plants

What is your temperature as of now? I would raise the temp to 86 and work it out from there. Don't turn the temp down till you see the last white spot and wait a week. Then it can go back to original temp. The higher temps usually do the trick without salt.

Bish67 said:
and will it work without chemicals?? its currently 78

Slowly adjust it to 86. Don't do it too quickly. Most of the time the heat will kill off the Ich because it will multiply in cooler water. I would almost bet on it working with just the heat.

I have read that several times about the heat.....last question.....continue with small wc throughout....and Thankyou for your help

Bish67 said:
I have read that several times about the heat.....last question.....continue with small wc throughout....and Thankyou for your help

Yup. WC will help too. Good luck :)

Cant remember specific names im afraid....i got true aquatic hardy plants....for ease....thanks for reply...im finger crossing all goes well as i comment

well...im up to 86...fish doing well...plants ok....and whitespot slowly disappearing from fish....going according to plan so far....

remember to stick with it one week after the last spots dissipear! Glad to hear its working.

By Plants melting, I mean some will kind of rot away over the next few weeks. usually the roots are ok and it will grow back. It took me months to slowly get my plants used to 85-86 that discus like.

thanks...been a great help....you seen my other thread...why my fish so happy at these temps ??

Can anyone explain why my fish seem to lve the new 86d heat...they thriving??
:fish2:

What's different in their behavior from what they normally do? It could be they're just feeling better if the Ich is receding. The fish you haven't don't require high temps so 86 might be too high to keep up with long-term. 77-78 degrees normally should be fine for them once the Ich is gone. Also be sure you have sufficient surface aeration (air stone or water rippling the surface as it falls from the filter) as higher heat causes less oxygen exchange in the tank (watch for any fish gasping, etc).

you could be right...they just have loads more life in them. I have a water sprinkler in the tank do oxygen should be fine but im watching them.
I plan to drop temp back down a week after seeing the last white spot...am also doing partial wc too.....thanks

Back
Top Bottom