Desperate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valelostalo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone and thank you for having me.

I am in desperate need of help here.
Back story, my kids won two goldfish in a school fair and went to the store to get them a better home, the fish died the next day and now I have a 10 gal tank with filter (recently) a heater (getting different fishes this time) have been treating the water with the quick starter, and several water treatment liquids but nothing get my Nitrites down! It has been 2 months !!! I bought the kit for fresh water to test the water and everything is fine but the nitrites that are very high. I have changed about 50% of the water and nothing.
Is there any obvious item I am forgetting? (Like the air pumps you add or something?) I have no fish yet and loosing my hopes by now.
Thank you so much for your help

The % of water you change is how much the nutrient is reduced.
So if your nitirtes at super high a 50% change will leave them high?
Are you sure it is your nitrItes and not nitrAtes that are high after two months?

Here is a pic

I don’t know what else to do. Here is a pic of how it looks my nitrites (and have been like this for a long time)

Attachments

• E598EF5C-668C-48B3-B981-BCF44A51C63D.jpg
    E598EF5C-668C-48B3-B981-BCF44A51C63D.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 65
They say the bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrate take longer to reproduce but ths seems extreme ?
Have you tested for nitrAtes even though you have nitrites?
Did you use a de chlorinator when you set tank up?

do you know anyone local to you who has a established tank that you can get a piece of media to give your tank a bump start

we had high nitrates (or nitrites) at one point in our tropical tank and we got some live plants and retested a week later and it went down to the right level with no water change

What do you have in the tank? And did you wash the tank with anything before you started everything? Does the filter have a pad with carbon in it? What fish are you gonna be getting?

Back
Top Bottom