Diamond and silvertip tetras together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asnie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I've just purchased a 120l tank (my first tank, so I'm a newbie), and would appreciate some advice on how to stock it.

I'm very much in love with both silvertip tetras and diamond tetras and would like to get both - but I've read that the silver tips can be fin nippers. Would the silvertips be too hard on the diamonds' finns?

As an alternative I'm considering stocking my tanks with harlequin rasboas and either silvertips or diamonds.

Witch match would be best?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My personal experience is that silver tips are very quick and disturb quieter tetras. I didn't find them to be fin nippers but I removed them because they ruled the tank through their sheer energy. I keep a mix of tetras (diamond neons, glow lights, phantoms, black neons, rummy nose & blood fins) and harlequin rasboras. They all get on well especially since the silver tips were rehomed.
That's not to say that silver tips would not work in your tank, it may have just been the combination of fish in mine. However, rasboras seem a very quiet amiable bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would agree that the Silvertips are just too busy for the Diamonds. You may want to consider a nice group of Cheery Barbs say 8-10 with a few being albino. You can do the same thing with Glowlights, Head and Tail Lights, Black Neons just to name a few.

Thanks much for your replies - think I won't go for the silvertips

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom