diatomic bloom! / tds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
My first tank (29G) finally cycled despite an array of problems and all 11 fishes lived! :) now I have identified a diatomic bloom. It's a pretty good one as I refused to deal with 'whatever it was' until all levels had been holding steady for a little while. Did a pretty good cleaning today.
The guy at LFS wouldn't sell me any of his ottos as he said they weren't doing well. I came home with 3 tiger snails. :confused: Am having a hard time finding info on them, as I assume they're not the 'giant' variety. Any help???

Also, sorry, but I have to use RO water as my tap contains very high ammonia and ph. So I've been adding Kent liquid RO rite. (thank you librarygirl!) Problem: I don't know what my tds readings should be.

29G planted, 6 leopard danios, 5 cardinal tetras, 3 tiger snails.. community still under construction.

Nitrite, ammonia at 0. Ph 6. (under 7... just did a change with RO at 6.6) Nitrates 5.0, tds 80...

Any help would be much appreciated. :thanks:

Last edited:
I cant help with the tiger snails but you may want to add a piece of cuttlebone for some extra calcium for them.

In respect to the tds, do you also have tests for KH/GH? Tds is something fw people rarely check for and Ill be honest, I dont either. That said, tds ranges kind fall in the following ranges to give you a better idea. The EPA sets a max of 500 for drinkiing water supplies though I believe WHO has limit of twice this. Generally, fw tanks @400 or less are considered acceptable. I believe the hard, higher ph tanks such as certain cichlids are in the 300-400 range, general in 100-300 range and soft, acidic water fish such as discus are 75 or less. Dont quote me on this though! I think your borderline soft water but if your ph is falling to 6 regularly, you may need to add a buffer to your tank to help keep the ph stable. Hope this helps a bit!

Back
Top Bottom