...did I really just cycle my tank in 2 days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmiA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!

I'm setting up a Sakura 5.5 gal. I am cycling the tank using seeded media from a filter sponge I got from my established 30 G (cut it down to size to fit my Azoo Mignon 60), and I'm also using a filter intake from an established 40 G that I also have.

After setting it up, I tested my parameters at the end of the day:

Ph: 7.6
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0 PPM

This morning, I found 3 dead red cherry shrimps from one of my tanks (unfortunate ammo spike from overfeeding). I decided to put the dead RCSs in an empty media bag and tossed it in the my new 5.5 as well. By the end of the day, my parameters are as followed:

PH: 7.2
Ammo: 0
Nirite: 0
Nitrate: 10.0 PPM

I haven't started a new tank in ages, so I'm like a fish out of water when it comes to cycling. :confused:

Has my tank been cycled since the Ammo and Nitrites are 0, and that my Nirtrates are below 20 PPM?

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for for 2 nights, (return 10/23), so I won't be able to monitor my tank until then :banghead: Should I go ahead and take the bag with the dead RCS out before I leave? Or is this helping with the cycle...that is if my tank needs to be cycled. I'm wondering if I had enough seeded material to have an established tank already?

Again, I haven't started a new tank in years, so any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone :)

IMO, leave the dead shrimp in the tank until you come back then test the water again.

Came back today, kept the dead RCSs in, and came with these readings

PH: 7.2
Ammo: help me out here- 0 PPM or .25 PPM?? I can’t tell!
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10 PPM

If the ammo is indeed not at 0, what should I do? pwc? Take the dead RCS out?? Or let it be?? Thanks!!

IMG_6301.jpg

Looks like you're maybe at .25 ppm. Keep the dead RCS in there. If you wanted a little ammonia boost throw a raw shrimp in there.

Back
Top Bottom