did something stupid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
first time having an aquarium and tried to start way to fast. Tried to cycle a 60 gallon tank for my daughter in 2 weeks and added 8 neon tetras, after more research realized it was a really dumb idea to put them in. 3 left after 2 days any suggestions on what to do at this point. Ammonia is finally changing into nitrates slowly but the ones left look healthy at this point. Last thing i want to do is create more death. Not good for the fish or my 5 year olds reaction to it. I put quite a few hours into researching and will give everyone that does it credit, not as easy as it looks. Thanks for any advice given.

Finish the cycle, then slowly start adding fish, maybe two or three at a time. What does your stock list look like?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had 1 java fern, 1 anubius nana and 1 amazon sword in there for a few weeks. I also have 2 pieces of driftwood in there that have been boiled a few times that are about 6 and 8 pounds a pience and 1 white rock so far that is about 5 pounds. Probobly thinking waiting till the cycle is complete to put more fish in so just the few tetras right now in there, but planning on building a decent community tank out of it. Havent decided on the show piece fish type yet.

oh and thinking about 20 or so and some cory cats, i want it to be easier than harder to maintain since i work a ton or until i can get my wife involved in it( which i will soon, haha)

I would recommend leaving the tetras you have in there if they seem to be doing well. It is normal for some tetras to die when they are brought home because of the stress. It is sad but it's common in aquariums. If your kids get really sad when the fish die, I would recommend buying some guppies or hardier fish for now. After the tank seems better established you should slowly start stocking the rest of the tetras and then the corydoras.

thanks, that was what i was wondering about the current tetras, so you're thinking cories later after getting it filled with tetras?, and how hard are they to keep for a newbie. And i realize now nothing until the tank i cycled, i though it was but was struggling before to find the right info on it until i saw the little one cry a bunch about it. I read about it a bunch but most threads didn't meantion levels of the nitrogen cycle till i found one. I did have a 20 gallon tetra tank about 15 years ago when i was in college that was successful and forgot everything about it. Maybe that was because my roomate though he could through a tiny small mouth bass in there when i was at work one day. Ya, that was the last day he lived with me.

Cories are pretty easy fish. They do well in schools of 5 or more. They also like hiding places. For some reason I ended up putting my cory in my arowana cichlids tank. He's been living in that tank for 4 years now without being eaten or dying from stress. I wouldn't do that again though. Sad and funny story about your roommate. Good luck with your tank!

Hmm, im amazed awawanas can live with anything, beautiful fish though

first time having an aquarium and tried to start way to fast. Tried to cycle a 60 gallon tank for my daughter in 2 weeks and added 8 neon tetras, after more research realized it was a really dumb idea to put them in. 3 left after 2 days any suggestions on what to do at this point. Ammonia is finally changing into nitrates slowly but the ones left look healthy at this point. Last thing i want to do is create more death. Not good for the fish or my 5 year olds reaction to it. I put quite a few hours into researching and will give everyone that does it credit, not as easy as it looks. Thanks for any advice given.
Get ahold of something called quick start or instant add which is a type of beneficial bacteria that helps prevent NTS. (New Tank Syndrome) It needs to be added daily and will hopefully help your situation. Weekly 25-50% water changes.

Started that from the beginning with 1 formula, and have been doing about 30% water changes

Back
Top Bottom