Disappearing Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackleroy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I have a question about my nitrates disappearing.

I've been doing a fishless cycle on a 10 gallon tank since 11/1. It's going to be a quarantine tank, so there's nothing at all in it, just a filter, heater, and air stone.

I tested my parameters on 11/22 and my ammonia had gone from 4ppm to 0ppm. Nitrates were at 200 and nitrites were at 10.

I decided to add some freeze dried brine shrimp to see how fast the ammonia got processed. A test on 11/24 showed .5ppm ammonia, 200 nitrates and 10 nitrites.

I just tested again today on 12/6 and I got 4ppm ammonia, just 20 nitrates and 0 nitrite.

So my question is: where did my nitrates go? I tested a few times to make sure it's accurate. I haven't done any water changes at, just topped off the evaporation. There are no plants and I can't see any algae in the tank.

I feel like I can't trust the reading of 0 nitrites when the nitrates just disappeared like that, plus the ammonia is back up to 4ppm. What's going on?

Thanks in advance! I always get really helpful insight from you guys.

High nitrites give a false reading on nitrates. Your nitrates were never that high but since you had a lot of nitrites it was messing up the test.

High nitrites give a false reading on nitrates. Your nitrates were never that high but since you had a lot of nitrites it was messing up the test.

Thanks! I didn't know that could happen, but it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom