discus fish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kramozo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been keeping fish for about 4 yrs. Have 2 Angels in a 30g, very happy fish. 12 S African cichlids in a 150g, 3 fire belly toads(started the whole tank pet experience)
I just moved my cichlids from a 75g to the bigger tank. I have been researching
Discus fish for that tank. However, they sound really intimidating to keep,
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
kramozo

People say they're "hard" fish. It really depends on how dedicated you are to maintaining the aquarium. They need almost perfectly clean water which is usually from several water changes. They can stunt easily, They're very susceptible to a number of diseases and usually don't recover once they get sick. They need a well rounded diet, too. I've got three juveniles in a 120XH. They are considered the king of the aquarium, and it's obvious why. They are some of the most beautiful, personable fish I've ever owned. There's some great books in print on basic discus care and getting started with discus.

discus fish

Thanks for the info. I typically change water once a week (50% and add aquarium salt once a month) This has kept my cichlids happy. I have read that discus require 3x water changing, no gravel, and get sick easily. Are these
things true. There is so much information on the web you just do not know what is true.

People typically grow them out in bare bottom tanks (no gravel) because it's easier to do water changes and suck up the waste. Keeping them over a dark substrate will result in "peppering" (basically fish freckles) I would suggest ordering some books, talking to breeders, or even registering at the Simply Discus Forums.

Back
Top Bottom