Discus tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone suggest good tank mates for discus. The problem I am having is finding fish that will cope with the low ph and high temp. Looking at getting some corys for the bottom and cardinal tetras for colour. If anyone can suggest any others that will be great.

850L tank. I have cardinals so wanted to stay away from neons. It's tricky tho cos of the high temp. Plants are also hard to find.

What temp are you keeping them at?
What pH?

Cardinal tetras, sterbai cories, rummynose tetras, many fancy plecos (like gold nuggets), bristlenose plecos, and many others. Remember, discus are from Amazonia, just like MANY other fish we keep in aquariums all the time. It is not as extreme as many people make it seem.

I have cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, different corydoras, ABP and a gourami with my discus. I keep the temp in the lower 80s because of the corys.

What temp are you keeping them at?
What pH?

Cardinal tetras, sterbai cories, rummynose tetras, many fancy plecos (like gold nuggets), bristlenose plecos, and many others. Remember, discus are from Amazonia, just like MANY other fish we keep in aquariums all the time. It is not as extreme as many people make it seem.

My temp is about 85 and my ph is stable at about 6.8. I don't have the discus yet as I am waiting for the tank to mature a little more. I have heard that people say discus are extremely hard to keep but also heard that sensible fish keeping is good enough. Plecs is something I really want to expand on keeping too as there are some stunning fish around.

6.8 is not extreme at all, that is definitely not a limiting factor in your tank. And it is perfectly fine for discus, so don't try to mess with it.

The temp is great for discus but a little warmer than a lot of fish prefer. It should be fine for many Amazonian fish. When in doubt check natural parameters on fishbase.org. It is maintained and used by scientists, not hobbyists, so it is a lot more accurate in almost every case.

I keep discus in a tank with 7.4 ph. As long as it is stable they thrive quite well. I keep ancistrus plecos, cardinals and burmese loaches with them. Temp is 84F.

My two discus are getting along well with my platies, guppies, gold nugget plecos, and peacock eel. But there was a big problem with my angelfish-- had to adopt him out because he was picking on the discus.

PS- my tank is always between 82 and 86 degrees and none of the other fish seem to mind, although supposedly not compatible with this temperature range.

Last edited:
I was told that angel fish carry a disese that can kill discus. It's only angel fish that have it and they don't suffer with the problem just speed it. How true this is I don't know. Just something to be aware off.

Back
Top Bottom