Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guinness said:
Lol I have been accused of having an affair with my phone since I joined this site lol.

Haha yeah my gf thinks I'm a dork for having this on my phone, oh well, its helped me a ton, don't know where id be without it to be honest

DanS180 said:
Haha yeah my gf thinks I'm a dork for having this on my phone, oh well, its helped me a ton, don't know where id be without it to be honest

Yea same here I have learnt so much from being on here. There are tones of people that know there stuff and if I am able to help people from my own experience that's a bonus too.

Also there are some really nice people on here like yourself to share stories and experiences with. Saves me boring the hell out of my gf lol.

Guinness said:
Yea same here I have learnt so much from being on here. There are tones of people that know there stuff and if I am able to help people from my own experience that's a bonus too.

Also there are some really nice people on here like yourself to share stories and experiences with. Saves me boring the hell out of my gf lol.

Why thank you you're not too bad yourself haha yeah every time I go to talk to my gf about something fish related she just stares at me with confusion lol so its nice being able to talk to ppl on here that understand what I'm trying to say haha

If it weren't for people on here, id be stuck with a 2 ft RedTail Catfish, a 2 ft Arowana and a 2 ft Tiger Shovelnose in my 180G haha

DanS180 said:
Why thank you you're not too bad yourself haha yeah every time I go to talk to my gf about something fish related she just stares at me with confusion lol so its nice being able to talk to ppl on here that understand what I'm trying to say haha

If it weren't for people on here, id be stuck with a 2 ft RedTail Catfish, a 2 ft Arowana and a 2 ft Tiger Shovelnose in my 180G haha

Yea but nice choice of fish lol just need a much bigger tank.

Guinness said:
Yea but nice choice of fish lol just need a much bigger tank.

Yeah I know, my gf and I loved my redtail.. he had such a personality, would let me pet him/hand feed him. Ashame I had to give him up :/ I'll always keep the videos I have on my phone :)

Guinness said:
So did you have him before you changed to discus then? How long did you have him for and yea I bet it was hard to give him up.

Yeah I had him for about 8 months, bought him when he was about 2 1/2inches. Got rid of him when he was almost 10inches. So sad :(

That's a shame, always hard to say goodbye to fish. They all have their own personality don't they. Could you have kept him in your tank for life?

Guinness said:
That's a shame, always hard to say goodbye to fish. They all have their own personality don't they. Could you have kept him in your tank for life?

Personally, yes I would have made it work and probably stunted his growth but technically no, they need much much bigger tanks since they can grow over 4ft long

Wow I didn't realise they got that big. Probably best you moved him on. Shame they are such nice looking fish. I'm a bit of a catfish fan. I would have tanks full of them if I had the room lol.

Guinness said:
Wow I didn't realise they got that big. Probably best you moved him on. Shame they are such nice looking fish. I'm a bit of a catfish fan. I would have tanks full of them if I had the room lol.

Yeah I like catfish as well, it's ashame most of them get too big for captivity :/

Discus tank cleaned today, 150ltrs water changed, rock scrubbed, wood cleaned, sand vacuumed, plants trimmed. All looking good now. Apart from the fact I feel really unwell today and have no energy. Fish come before sickness. What a trooper lol.

Oddball tanks turn tomorrow, 200ltr water change tomorrow, clean rocks and fake plants, vacuum sand clean glass and filter.

God I hope I feel better tomorrow. :-(

Guinness said:
Discus tank cleaned today, 150ltrs water changed, rock scrubbed, wood cleaned, sand vacuumed, plants trimmed. All looking good now. Apart from the fact I feel really unwell today and have no energy. Fish come before sickness. What a trooper lol.

Oddball tanks turn tomorrow, 200ltr water change tomorrow, clean rocks and fake plants, vacuum sand clean glass and filter.

God I hope I feel better tomorrow. :-(

Aww that sucks! Lol yeah I have to do a water change in my 180G but that's effortless for me, and I gotta fix my biggest plant in the tank, somehow it got dug up or the roots snapped :/ I was so mad when I woke up this morning to that, I swear my clown loaches come out at night and wreak havoc lol

DanS180 said:
Aww that sucks! Lol yeah I have to do a water change in my 180G but that's effortless for me, and I gotta fix my biggest plant in the tank, somehow it got dug up or the roots snapped :/ I was so mad when I woke up this morning to that, I swear my clown loaches come out at night and wreak havoc lol

Ha ha yea that does my head in too, I think the roots just snap after a while they just rot.

Question for ya, how do you take water out of your tank? (just syphon) and how do you get water back in?

Guinness said:
Ha ha yea that does my head in too, I think the roots just snap after a while they just rot.

Question for ya, how do you take water out of your tank? (just syphon) and how do you get water back in?

Well that sucks if they did bc that was my centerpiece plant :/

I have the Aqueon water changer, just siphon out right to the sink, then hook up the thing to the faucet, turn on the water and let it fill

Ah right that sounds easy lol. I use RO water my RO unit is in the shed so I have to fill 6 25ltr barrels in the shed take them to the house, I have a waste barrel that is 25ltrs I use that to drain water from the tank and have to carry it outside to the drain. I do that 6 times then I have to get my step ladders next to the tank and lift one barrel at a time above tank level and syphon the water back into the tank, I have to do that 6 times. Lol so you can see what I mean, when you don't feel well it kind of takes it out of you. Lol worth it in the end. It normally takes me an hour and a half but today it took nearly 4 hours.

In my experience that's what happens to the roots in my tank, after a while they rot and the plant floats to the top Bummer. I'm not sure how to get round it. I now use terracotta pots for my plants. They seem to last a bit longer.

Guinness said:
Ah right that sounds easy lol. I use RO water my RO unit is in the shed so I have to fill 6 25ltr barrels in the shed take them to the house, I have a waste barrel that is 25ltrs I use that to drain water from the tank and have to carry it outside to the drain. I do that 6 times then I have to get my step ladders next to the tank and lift one barrel at a time above tank level and syphon the water back into the tank, I have to do that 6 times. Lol so you can see what I mean, when you don't feel well it kind of takes it out of you. Lol worth it in the end. It normally takes me an hour and a half but today it took nearly 4 hours.

In my experience that's what happens to the roots in my tank, after a while they rot and the plant floats to the top Bummer. I'm not sure how to get round it. I now use terracotta pots for my plants. They seem to last a bit longer.

Wow that's a lot of work! Lol why do u use RO water for your freshwater tank?? Your tap water that bad?

Yeah I'm gonna try n replant it when I get home, but I doubt it will last :/

Yea my tap water is really hard, plus the discus like soft water so brought an RO unit. I used to but my RO water but it was costing me £40 a month just for water for the tank lol. And yea it's a lot of work. I enjoy doing it tho the end result is worth all the sweat.

It might take again if you replant it. I have done it a few times with mine. Bummer tho.

Back
Top Bottom