Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Discus: 79-87 degrees
Zebra loach: 73- 82
Red phantom tetra: 72-82

Idk what else but everyone will definitely be fine at 82 degrees. I mean, its important to follow those guidelines but I've got black skirt tetras who like it at around 80, 81 max and my tank is at 84.5

The OP mentioned more species than those two.....and I disagree with 73-82 on the loaches.

My understanding is that most discus tanks are kept at 84-85. If this isn't the case, it may not be an issue. But all the species listed do not tolerate temps that high.

siva said:
The OP mentioned more species than those two.....and I disagree with 73-82 on the loaches.

My understanding is that most discus tanks are kept at 84-85. If this isn't the case, it may not be an issue. But all the species listed do not tolerate temps that high.

Yea I said I didnt know what else. And I disagree with your disagreement. I've never kept those specific loaches but I googled them. If you have experience with them then maybe a different species would be better. And no discus are dine at 82.

Yea I said I didnt know what else. And I disagree with your disagreement. I've never kept those specific loaches but I googled them. If you have experience with them then maybe a different species would be better. And no discus are dine at 82.

Discus don't eat at 82? Isn't that a good reason to keep the temp higher than 82?

Oh I didn't say they aren't fine at 82, I said "My understanding is that most discus tanks are kept at 84-85". The hobbyists I know who have success keeping discus over many years keep their tanks at higher temps than 82. If the OP is gonna have a go at keeping discus cooler than this, the compatiblity with the others may not be so much of an issue.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Rather than do a google search, I recommend checking sites with reliable information pertinent to the species you are researching. In this case, I would refer to seriouslyfish.com and loaches.com. IMO keeping the zebras at 82 would be pushing it, like many other loaches, and if keeping the tank at a higher temp they should be ruled out all together.

A agree with siva. It's much more helpful to look at some sites specializing in those fish than to just randomly google things. Siva has kept a lot of species and has a very good idea of what a lot of fish can handle.
I would also be concerned about the activity level of a zebra loach with discus.

absolutangel04 said:
A agree with siva. It's much more helpful to look at some sites specializing in those fish than to just randomly google things. Siva has kept a lot of species and has a very good idea of what a lot of fish can handle.
I would also be concerned about the activity level of a zebra loach with discus.

The Cory is swimming around fine right now and my tanks at 79-80° right now, as for the zebra, I see him at night and that's about it lol so i dunno if he's just shy or it has something to do with the heat, should i maybe turn up the heater gradually n see what happens?

Well the question is what temp are you going to be keeping this tank at on a permanent basis? I do think you're going to want to keep the tank around 85, which I really don't think is going to work for the loach and cory. Paytertot mentioned 82 is fine for discus, but I have no idea if that's an advisable thing to do, and on her profile it says she keeps her tank at 85.5 degrees, which again, is what I've always heard is good for discus. I am PM'ing a couple members on the site for you and asking them to hop on this thread. Good news is the GBR's will work, I'm still not sure about the tetras though. Hopefully we can get some more experienced discus keepers on here to give us a better idea on that. And if they won't work, what will. ;)

Last edited:
siva said:
Well the question is what temp are you going to be keeping this tank at on a permanent basis? I do think you're going to want to keep the tank around 85, which I really don't think is going to work for the loach and cory. Paytertot mentioned 82 is fine for discus, but I have no idea if that's an advisable thing to do, and on her profile it says she keeps her tank at 85.5 degrees, which again, is what I've always heard is good for discus. I am PM'ing a couple members on the site for you and asking them to hop on this thread. Good news is the GBR's will work, I'm still not sure about the tetras though. Hopefully we can get some more experienced discus keepers on here to give us a better idea on that. And if they won't work, what will. ;)

Aww thank you I appreciate your help!! And good for the Rams :) I like these guys :)

I was planning to keep the tank at 83°-84°

I didn't just randomly search it, I typed it in on Google and THEN looked at at least 7 or 8 different sites. Not to sound snippy but I think I know how to look something up. And like. I. Said. I don't have experience with those specific loaches so a different species might be better.

82 deg. F is fine with discus. That is the minimum for discus I've kept discus in that temp for over a year. You can keep adult discus in lower temps(82-84F) Although, now I keep mine at 87F(new, younger discus) because I want to increase their metabolism to make them grow faster. With Increased metabolism, you can feed more but then you'll need to clean more. I don't have any idea about the loaches. I have 2 albino BNP, rummy nose, cardinal tetras and 5 different types of corydoras with my discus(87F) with no problem at all. No issue with the pleco sucking on the discus' slime.

adammorrill said:
If your going to get cory's, get more than just one. They like to be in schools and since you have a 180 gallon tank you could fit a really nice school in there, I'm thinking like 10-20.

In my 125g I have 30 cardinals and 10 rummy noses. They school together. You can get more than that if you can keep up with the WCs. For the Op, If you really want to learn about discus, let me know and I'll Pm you the website.

paytertot said:
I didn't just randomly search it, I typed it in on Google and THEN looked at at least 7 or 8 different sites. Not to sound snippy but I think I know how to look something up. And like. I. Said. I don't have experience with those specific loaches so a different species might be better.

Some fish can adjust to higher temps if increased gradually but some can't. I had 6 neons in my 125g that died after I increased the temp to 87F.

Thanks so much roydooms!!

So are you saying if the discus are juvies at the time of purchase they should be kept at a higher temp?

roydooms said:
82 deg. F is fine with discus. That is the minimum for discus I've kept discus in that temp for over a year. You can keep adult discus in lower temps(82-84F) Although, now I keep mine at 87F(new, younger discus) because I want to increase their metabolism to make them grow faster. With Increased metabolism, you can feed more but then you'll need to clean more. I don't have any idea about the loaches. I have 2 albino BNP, rummy nose, cardinal tetras and 5 different types of corydoras with my discus(87F) with no problem at all. No issue with the pleco sucking on the discus' slime.

Awesome! Thanks for the great info!! Please PM me for that website :)

siva said:
Thanks so much roydooms!!

So are you saying if the discus are juvies at the time of purchase they should be kept at a higher temp?

Ideally. Lower temps are ok too. If you have juveniles, you'd want to feed them at least 4 to 6 times a day. This is if you want your discus to reach their full potential. Higher temp will help and of course clean water. People here say to keep nitrate below 20ppm but I keep mine below 5ppm.

OK great! And also, how long have those cories been at 87? That suprised me that they are tolerating that. I've seen cories get obviously uncomfortable at higher temps.

DanS180 said:
Awesome! Thanks for the great info!! Please PM me for that website :)

YW. Also, for beginners, it's better to buy young adults. Some say to buy minimum of 5 but for me it's 6 minimum. For your 180g, I'd buy at least 10. Buy 6 then just add more.

roydooms said:
YW. Also, for beginners, it's better to buy young adults. Some say to buy minimum of 5 but for me it's 6 minimum. For your 180g, I'd buy at least 10. Buy 6 then just add more.

Buy 6 at a time??? Lol

Back
Top Bottom