Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No...I wouldn't...if you want any option to QT or treat more than one at any time you can't do it in a tank that small.

herp_mommy said:
I have clown plecos with my discus. No problems. I keep mine at 84, feed frozen bloodworms, beefheart, discus formula, and mysis three times a day, water changes twice a week. Buy at least six initially. I also have rummy nose and cories. They're great tank mates. I've have my discus for almost a year now. Any questions just ask :)

Thanks a lot for the info!! And ill be sure to ask questions if i need to!

Siva,

I have metea, peppered, albino, sterbai, green emerald

Right, and I'm not saying those aren't an option, just that the sterbai are most popular for the warmer tanks so they are what I would lean toward. ;)

siva said:
Right, and I'm not saying those aren't an option, just that the sterbai are most popular for the warmer tanks so they are what I would lean toward. ;)

I only read your latest reply after I posted that^^^. I was replying to your question to herp-mommy. Lol.

siva said:
^ This is my recommendation for the OP as far as cories. They tolerate higher temps the best and thus are the most popular for discus tanks.

Ok so ill look into getting several of these cories also :) what kind of filter should i get for the QT tank??

Like paytertot was saying you can run the QT's filter on your DT so it's always cycled. If that doesn't work for you for some reason, you take cycled media from the DT and put it in the QT's filter during the times you need it.

siva said:
Like paytertot was saying you can run the QT's filter on your DT so it's always cycled. If that doesn't work for you for some reason, you take cycled media from the DT and put it in the QT's filter during the times you need it.

I'm not fully understanding the idea of putting the filter on my DT? Lol

DanS180 said:
I'm not fully understanding the idea of putting the filter on my DT? Lol

Getting some of the bio media or sponge(with BB) from your DT and put it in your filter n your QT instantly cycling or making your QT cycle a lot faster.

As far as keeping the QT filter always running on the DT, that would keep it cycled at all times, so you could just move it over to the QT when needed. It's a long term solution you can use if it works for you to have the additional filter on there. Depending on the type of filter you select, this method can work best. Like if you choose a sponge filter for example. If you choose something like an HOB, you can do it that way or by just adding cycled filter media to it when needed.

roydooms said:
Getting some of the bio media or sponge(with BB) from your DT and put it in your filter n your QT instantly cycling or making your QT cycle a lot faster.

Ohh okay, I thought they meant to actually hook the filter up to my DT, lol might be a little tough to do tho bc i have 2 Fluval fx5's on my DT, and it's all Bio Max, how would I put that media in a HOB???

Yeah, we did mean that. You can do it either way.

I use ceramic rings in all of my HOB's. Just place it in a nylon bag.

siva said:
Yeah, we did mean that. You can do it either way.

I use ceramic rings in all of my HOB's. Just place it in a nylon bag.

Oh okay lol that would work then :)

Since I've had the tank setup my pH has been right around 7.6.

What's the best way to lower the pH for discus, it says they like it anywhere from 6.8-7.4???

DanS180 said:
Since I've had the tank setup my pH has been right around 7.6.

What's the best way to lower the pH for discus, it says they like it anywhere from 6.8-7.4???

My tank is 7.6, I wouldn't bother with the ph because when you do water changes it will just change again. Messing with the ph always brings the possibility of crashes and whatnot, and a stable ph is better than ideal.

paytertot said:
My tank is 7.6, I wouldn't bother with the ph because when you do water changes it will just change again. Messing with the ph always brings the possibility of crashes and whatnot, and a stable ph is better than ideal.

Oh alright cool, one less thing I gotta do :) thanks

Okay so i think I'm gonna get 6 discus from either aqua bid.com or from a sponsor I was referred to from roydooms.

With aqua bid it looks like ill be getting 6 of all the same fish for around $120(says they are "dime or nickel" size) ehhhh.. don't know how i feel about that.

With the sponsor I can pick any different 6 fish with all different prices but they would be young adults.

Sponsor or aqua bid?

DanS180 said:
Okay so i think I'm gonna get 6 discus from either aqua bid.com or from a sponsor I was referred to from roydooms.

With aqua bid it looks like ill be getting 6 of all the same fish for around $120(says they are "dime or nickel" size) ehhhh.. don't know how i feel about that.

With the sponsor I can pick any different 6 fish with all different prices but they would be young adults.

Sponsor or aqua bid?

I would go for the bigger ones. What kinds are you getting?

Back
Top Bottom