Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have rehomed all of my fish safely today and started to build my discus tank :) so excited.

I haven't bought any discus yet but here's what i have bought..

12 rummynose tetras
6 red phantom tetras
2 blue rams
1 zebra botia
1 aggassizi cory

Ill be adding more fish gradually but any other fish that would go well?? Maybe a pleco? Some more Cory's?

DON'T GET ANY PLECOS! I had a pleco in my discus tank and it pinned my discus to the bottom and sucked the slime coating right off of him not a mistake I'm willing to chance again on 35-50 dollar fish

Jesselav1233 said:
DON'T GET ANY PLECOS! I had a pleco in my discus tank and it pinned my discus to the bottom and sucked the slime coating right off of him not a mistake I'm willing to chance again on 35-50 dollar fish

Yeah I heard about plecos getting aggressive with discus but i also heard certain types are okay. So i was just curious... any other fish you'd recommend??

Also only pick fish that swim very slowly discus get spooked easily by fast moving fish I have only discus in my tank and some sterbia catfish ( they don't mind the 85 degree waters like most other catfish) to clean the bottom. I know it's tempting to want a bunch of little swimmers in there with them but discus are so bright and their are so many different color variations you won't need them they look great in a school all by themselves plus they will love you for it

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesselav1233 said:
Also only pick fish that swim very slowly discus get spooked easily by fast moving fish I have only discus in my tank and some sterbia catfish ( they don't mind the 85 degree waters like most other catfish) to clean the bottom. I know it's tempting to want a bunch of little swimmers in there with them but discus are so bright and their are so many different color variations u won't need them they look great in a school all by themselves plus they will love u for it

Understandable :) but i have a 180 gallon tank so I'm just tryna fill some voids rather than buy numerous discus at a high price ya know?? I'm not sure how many discus ill end up with but its not cheap so that's the reason I'm getting little guys lol

DanS180 said:
Understandable :) but i have a 180 gallon tank so I'm just tryna fill some voids rather than buy numerous discus at a high price ya know?? I'm not sure how many discus ill end up with but its not cheap so that's the reason I'm getting little guys lol

I know it sucks they are so expensive but I'm telling you their is no greater reward then when the discus turn out happy if you get them at hidden reef which I think you should make sure u get some live black worms from there that's what they feed them I have gotten them to eat frozen blood worms and flakes but not like the way they eat black worms they go crazy over them I guess because they were raised on them

Jesselav1233 said:
I know it sucks they are so expensive but I'm telling u their is no greater reward then when the discus turn out happy if you get them at hidden reef which I think you should make sure you get some live black worms from there that's what they feed them I have gotten them to eat frozen blood worms and flakes but not like the way they eat black worms they go crazy over them I guess because they were raised on them

Yeah people keep talking about Hidden Reef, I'd love to go there but I'm in south jersey and levittown is a lil far away :/ maybe I could make a day trip out of it.

I heard not to give discus frozen foods, don't remember the reasonings but that's what i heard

Samzter said:
I would love a dicus tank! I just don't think I would only like one specie though. :(

I hear ya, well right now I have little guys in there too. So it won't only be discus, but the discus will be the focal point :)

DanS180 said:
Yeah I heard about plecos getting aggressive with discus but i also heard certain types are okay. So i was just curious... any other fish you'd recommend??

Disagree, I have 2 bn plecos in my discus tank.

On a side note, yay you got the red phantoms! :D

paytertot said:
Disagree, I have 2 bn plecos in my discus tank.

On a side note, yay you got the red phantoms! :D

Lol yep, do your bristle nose get along well with the discus???

If your going to get cory's, get more than just one. They like to be in schools and since you have a 180 gallon tank you could fit a really nice school in there, I'm thinking like 10-20.

adammorrill said:
If your going to get cory's, get more than just one. They like to be in schools and since you have a 180 gallon tank you could fit a really nice school in there, I'm thinking like 10-20.

Yeah I plan to, just wanted to get something in there so i wasn't staring at an empty tank lol

You really have to consider temperature with a discus tank. I'm not sure all your stock can handle the high temps you'll need for your discus. I know that sterbai cories are generally the most popular for discus tanks as they can tolerate the higher temps most cories cannot. I don't think the zebra botia should be kept at higher than 80..and I'm really not sure about the tetras either.

Back
Top Bottom