do i need a uv sterilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im buying a canister filter and I have the option to get the uv sterilizer model for $10 more. Worth the money? What does it really do for me? Its going on a fw mbuna tank.

Yes!! Defintely spend the extra 10 bucks. It will keep your water crystal clear. I just had a horrible green algae bloom and my water looked like pea soup. I bought a uv and my water was crystal clear in a week. I hear it is also for killing disease and waterborne bacteria (not the good bacteria). I would definitely spend the extra few dollars IMO.

It is good to have when you need it. I have on in my canister filter (Aquatop 400UV)

A UV sterilizer can kill both good and bad. There's a huge debate on them. Personally though- I say go for it.

Jlsardina said:
A UV sterilizer can kill both good and bad. There's a huge debate on them. Personally though- I say go for it.

I don't know how it could kill the good because good bacteria is attached to substrate, filter media, etc. it does not get exposed to the uv light.

Back
Top Bottom